Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature request: ZigZag branching patterns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature request: ZigZag branching patterns.

In a lot of pants and trees, there is an interesting phenomenon noticeable for which the scientific name sadly eludes me.
    When branching occurs, a sort of zigzag pattern along the parent branch manifests itself.

Example 1.
    Example 2.
    Example 3.

I've managed to crudely approximate this effect by using a 'directional force' and modifying it's profile curve, but this technique is tedious, labour intensive and the results aren't very good. The biggest limitation is that it's not interactively linked to the actual distribution of the child nodes. If that changes, the zigzag pattern is immediately out of sync.

I'd love to be able to have a control in SpeedTree that automatically does this based on the placement of any generated child node. Including more subtle side effects such as the gentle bulging and seaming that occurs at the branching points.

Thanks for reading!

While I was searching on google about this, I found the thread. I have exactly the same need, and have tried to solve it in the same way, finding such problems. Is there already a solution? Would be as simple as adding a sin generator, with amplitud and wave length controls. The triangled shape could be achieved by increasing the optimization value in segments.

EDIT: Found the path option, but also is too much tricky. I'll keep testing and will updated this comment.
    Last edited by KW71; 04-17-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Hello, there are a couple different ways you can set this up!

For the zigzagging of the branch, I'd suggest the properties>path to draw the exact bend that you need. Drawing one "bump" section in the profile curve and changing the frequency will help this be as smooth as possible. You can also use late noise with a low amount and a high frequency and limit the polygons or turn on straightness.
      For the leaves, set them to generation style "phyllotaxy alternating (ditichous) and adjust the distance.

If you used noise to set the branch before, you can set the leaves to "bifucation" and they'll spawn at the elbow bend of the branch.

For a very mathematical branch, I was able to build this using extensions. It will give you a lot of extra generators but it does a better job of having the same zig zag like your picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zig2.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	8534Click image for larger version

Name:	zig1.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	8532Click image for larger version

Name:	zig3.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	8533

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the advices, Sarah! I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
        X