Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bifurcation export Multiple meshes

Hi,

Is there a way to get a single export mesh from a branch level with bifurcation?
    When I export my bifurcated level from SpeedTree to Maya, I get a mesh with bifurcation unsewed meshes, then when I put a smooth on it, the result isn't great.
    I didn't find any option in bifurcation panel or export dialog box.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bifurcation_speedtree.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3208

Name:	bifurcation_maya.JPG
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	3209

Name:	bifurcation_maya_Smooth.JPG
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	3210

Thx.

Hi,

The vertices along the center seam in the bifurcation region are doubled up in SpeedTree. There are two sets of UV coordinates along that line (this was the best place to hide the texture seam). In 3ds max you can "weld" the vertices to fix this and make the "MeshSmooth" modifier work in that region. I'll run this by our Maya person and see what can be done there.

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you. This is the same problem about the caps. If you can find something to fix it, it should be great for our pipeline.

Comment

Up! Any solutions?

Comment

Hello,

There are two ways to do it in Maya.

First, smooth itself has an option to preserve hard edges. When that is enabled, at least in Maya 2013, those seams are smoothed correctly.

The second is to weld it just like Michael explained for Max. Choose merge from the edit mesh menu, and vertices that are within a threshold will get merged. Then smooth will now work correctly even without preserving hard edges.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hello,
            Thanks for helping with these solutions. Actually, it seems my request wasn't specific enough.
            The two ways are simple and work on a static mesh for a picture. But what about an animated tree or several trees?

Weld the overlaped vertices it's quiet esay but means loose geocache or skin because vertex ID change. And wrap a weld mesh on unweld skinned mesh is a solution but heavy on polycount, objects and pipe transfert.

Any other solution is welcome!!

Comment

Oh, well you originally asked about smooth, which will also wreck vertex IDs, so I figured you weren't using a point cache.

Currently there is no solution to maintain the vertex cache and weld the verts. We are looking at solutions to fix it during export.

Comment

Working...
              X