Maya 2014 import munges texture maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya 2014 import munges texture maps

I've seen various references to issues with UV's importing into Maya, but haven't seen a solution to this problem, apologies if I've missed it.

The environment is:

Win 7/64
    Speedtree Modeler 7.0.5
    Maya 2014
    Speedtree FBX Importer script

When we export pretty much any model that uses alpha textures(leaves and fine branch detail on lower res models), just stock trees from the library for example, rendering in Maya 2014/mental ray results in a significant portion of the leaves rendering as solid alpha and the rgb being sort of munged up, they seem blown wildly out of scale, blurry. If I import the fbx trees into Maya 2012 with the script, it works fine. If I save that 2012 file and load it into 2014, it sadly doesn't work(same issue). I've attached an image of the alphas of 2012 vs 2014 next to each other so it's apparent.

In standard output of Maya 2014 I get the following multiple warnings at render time:

API 0.0 6 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input" is type color, "maya_multdiv" returns type vector
    API 0.0 6 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input" is type vector, "adskMayaClamp" returns type color
    API 0.0 6 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input1" is type vector, "maya_vertexcolors" returns type color
    API 0.0 6 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input2" is type vector, "maya_layeredtexture" returns type color
    API 0.0 6 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "diffuse" is type color, "maya_multdiv" returns type vector
    API 0.0 7 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input1" is type vector, "maya_vertexcolors" returns type color
    API 0.0 7 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "input2" is type vector, "maya_file" returns type color
    API 0.0 7 MB warn 302018: type conflict: "diffuse" is type color, "maya_multdiv" returns type vector

There's a bunch of these. These warnings don't show up in 2012, so I suspect it's a clue.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide...

Thanks!

J.C.
    Attached Files

Pulled the fbx into Houdini and the normals seemed somewhat pooched. I might have fixed it by recooking the normals in Maya(Normals/Set to Face for all the polys), although while it appears fine, a little concerned I might have wiped any clever tricks going on behind the scenes(in Houdini I also saw three uv sets being used for custom purposes). As far as to why it works as is in Maya 2012 vs 2014 - perhaps because the fbx importer is working differently in 2014?

J.C.

Comment

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply, but we have been extremely busy. I am currently unsure as to the cause of this issue but will look into and making another post with the fix.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Working...
      X