Reusage of one material on multiple meshes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusage of one material on multiple meshes

Currently it is impossible to do this - apply one material on different meshes. The only way is duplication of material to identical materials and applying it to meshes. Or I'm missing something?

Currently, that is correct. But even though you duplicate the material in the Modeler, only the parts that are used by the mesh are cut out when the tree is atlassed. So if you cut out two separate leaves from a Quixel atlas, only those two pieces will be put into the final atlas.

However, we do have plans to add a way to specify multiple meshes per material, though, to accommodate people using overlapping UV space on the same texture.

Comment

This is absolutely must-have feature, because sometimes you already have prepared atlas for the foliage and.. OH, one more feature request - option at export step to enable or disable atlas creation. ... and this thing is a headache in this situation. Also it re-exports full atlas 10 times for example (if you already have atlas for 10 different parts of the foliage)

Comment

Hi there,

I'm bumping this thread. Is there any possibility to share the same material for multiple meshes already?

I have just upgraded to version 8 and discovered that you cannot share multiple meshes with one material (with atlas creation option off). I'm using Speedtree with unreal engine and any duplication of the same material for different leaf mesh adds also the element in UE, which results in additional drawcall for the tree. I share the same premade atlases for multiple trees so Speedtree atlas creation is useless in this workflow. To have a additional drawcall for every different leaf mesh with the exact same material is very unfortunate performance wise.
        Last edited by LukeMk; 01-17-2019, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Since 8.2, you can have multiple meshes per material, and you can specify how you want it treated in the atlas

But even without that, you would never have gotten multiple draw calls for the leaves. A little texture duplication in the atlas maybe, but leaf geometry is batched together.

Comment

Hi Greg, thank you for the reply. I'm glad there is going to be the solution in 8.2.

If I understood the current workflow correctly, you have to duplicate the material for every unique mesh (for branch with leaves in my case) and then select the wanted mesh in the mesh slot inside the material parameters.

So if you have for example two different meshes for branches, you also have to have two materials for them. If you have one more material for bark and then export the Speedtree model to UE4, you will end up with 3 elements in the actor. And since the Unreal splits the mesh according to number of elements ( and each element is one drawcall ),even they share the same material, you have also more drawcalls.

Comment

For anything with wrapping texcoords, yes they get split (unless you also force them to be in the atlas in the export dialog).

But anything in the atlas will have the draw calls merged as much as possible. It gets a little trickier with different wind geometry types, but when just discussing leaves as a whole, you'll only have one draw call no matter how many leaf materials you have.

Without seeing your tree, I'm not completely sure why you have two pieces of geometry with the same material on them. But again, 8.2 lets you be more specific in sharing a material among multiple meshes.

Comment

Working...
              X