Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold5 importer

Some observations about Arnold5 importer for Maya:
    - As someone already mentioned it would be helpful if the importer also set the opaque flag correctly. Its no major issue but why not set it right in the first place..
    - Also color spaces of input textures in the created materials should be set correctly, all scalar values should be set to "raw" and not default "sRGB".
    - A question regarding gloss map: why does it get multiplied by 1.5 in the shader tree? Also usually gloss maps from say Substance need to be inverted to be used with Arnold. Not with Speedtree?

Cheers!

Daniel
    Last edited by SehsuchtVFX; 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM.

Hello,

it would be helpful if the importer also set the opaque flag correctly
    There hasn't been a release since we fixed the opaque flag. The latest script (SpeedTreeImporter.zip) sets it correctly.

all scalar values should be set to "raw" and not default "sRGB"
    We do this in a variety of places, but perhaps it is missing from the arnold import. I will log to look into it. You can add this line in the script to add it wherever you wish (in the SpeedTreeImporterArnoldTranslator5() function).

mc.setAttr(textureNode + ".colorSpace", "Raw", type="string")

why does it get multiplied by 1.5 in the shader tree
    Even though many renderers are PBR, they don't necessarily have the same ranges/scales on all their parameters to achieve the same results. We're constantly fiddling with the scripts to reproduce what you see in the Modeler in each renderer. Is 1.5 correct? Eh, I dunno. I can log to look into it.

usually gloss maps from say Substance need to be inverted to be used with Arnold
    There is a reverse node that flips it to arnold's roughness inputs

Comment

Hi Greg!
      Sure thing I can script all that which I've already done, just making suggestions how you could improve your importer. In regards to multiplying by 1.5 I guess the only thing to make sure is that your textures then dont have values above 0.666 so we dont reach values over 1, seems a bit weird to be honest to do it this way.

Cheers...

Daniel

Comment

Working...
      X