Speedtree 8 Unity not exporting LODs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtree 8 Unity not exporting LODs

Hi, I am using the Speedtree 8 editor for Unity for the first time. Exporting the sample trees works fine, but when I try to export my Speedtree 7 trees from Speedtree 8 the LODs will not export. I followed the instrutional video and checked the dynamic LOD box and gave it three LOD's, but it will not export them, I mean it will export the tree but give it only one LOD.

I also get this error message:

"This model contains legacy generators that do not suppport LOD generation. Please consider upgrading these generators.
    > Autosaving '~BaldCypress_Hero.sbk' ... success."

I tried to find a button to upgrade the generator on the tree but didn't find one and am not sure how to do this.

Hi,

The older v7 trees need Wind and LOD to be retuned. To upgrade your model, in the Generation editor, select all your generators and then click the 'Upgrade' button in the Generation editors toolbar. So once you update your model's generators to v8 generators, you then need to go to the 'Global Properties' -> 'Level of Detail' group and 'Enable' LOD. Then change the 'Number' property from 1 to 3, this sets the number of levels you have on your model.

It probably didn't work because the generators weren't upgraded.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi Sonia,
      Thanks for getting back to me. That sort of worked. It will upgrade and do LOD's, but unfortunately it also messes up the tree, all the nodes get scrambled and the tree looks nothing like it did before, just a scrambled mess. I guess I will have to try to remodel them or have to use the textures and make them from scratch again if I want to use them.

Comment

I can confirm MarkR 's findings. After clicking upgrade on nodes for different trees they are left either naked or white cards in place of the fronds (depending on the tree). With the free exporter the global properties button is grayed out now allowing us to configure LODs; does this mean that we cannot upgrade our old trees without a subscription?

Comment

Hi,

Because of the changes we made with Materials and assigning meshes to materials, when you upgrade an v7 tree in the v8 modeler, you will need re-assign the mesh to the correct material and then assign that material to the correct generator. The cards appear when nothing is assigned to that generator.

As for the grayed out properties in the subscription modelers, when you don't subscribe then you can only export models. If you want to make changes then you would have to subscribe.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by SoniaPiasecki View Post
            Hi,

Because of the changes we made with Materials and assigning meshes to materials, when you upgrade an v7 tree in the v8 modeler, you will need re-assign the mesh to the correct material and then assign that material to the correct generator. The cards appear when nothing is assigned to that generator.

As for the grayed out properties in the subscription modelers, when you don't subscribe then you can only export models. If you want to make changes then you would have to subscribe.

Hope this helps!
            So in order to export our trees from ST7 --> ST8 with LODs we have upgrade the nodes and in upgrading the nodes we lose meshes and materials. To reassign meshes and materials however, we need a subscription; is this correct?

Comment

Hello,

The free export mode of the v8 modeler is to export trees already prepared for v8. This lets you export a tree that you buy to any engine, with different export settings, seasonal variations, etc.

Any editing of the tree, including upgrading an older tree to v8, would require an active subscription. Even though the v8 Modeler can load v7 trees, they usually require some tweaking to fully upgrade them. For instance, we take a shot at upgrading old materials, but you would want to take advantage of all the new PBR maps available in v8 for the best result.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
                Hello,

The free export mode of the v8 modeler is to export trees already prepared for v8. This lets you export a tree that you buy to any engine, with different export settings, seasonal variations, etc.

Any editing of the tree, including upgrading an older tree to v8, would require an active subscription. Even though the v8 Modeler can load v7 trees, they usually require some tweaking to fully upgrade them. For instance, we take a shot at upgrading old materials, but you would want to take advantage of all the new PBR maps available in v8 for the best result.

Hope this helps
                Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                X