Speedtree crashing when opening ANY file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtree crashing when opening ANY file

So yesterday speedtree was working fine, nothing has changed on my pc overnight I don't think, today I tried to open all the samples and all my existing speedtree files including the ones I bought from the speedtree store and nothing works speedtree goes straight to "Not Responding" I've left it go many times but even after 30min still nothing. I've tried reinstalling speedtree and re-downloading my purchased trees in case they were corrupt but that's not the case it still does the same thing. This is driving me insane I need to work but nothing is working. I can't find where the logs are kept so cant check those. Also my machine is very fast so performance isn't an issue, I had been using this program yesterday and the day before with no issues. HELP!!
    Last edited by r_etheve; 03-17-2016, 06:58 AM.

Hello,

Well *something* must have changed. Did your computer install updates overnight?

Freezing when trying to open a file (or make a new window) usually indicated a graphics card problem. You should install the latest driver for your graphics card. Get it straight from the manufacturer, not just Windows Update. Also, are you on a laptop with switchable graphics? If so, make sure to run the Modeler in high performance mode.

Comment

I had a look through the update logs, no recent update for my Nvidia graphics card but there was a Microsoft definition update for windows defender on the 17th and some on the 16th but don't think that should have effected it. May try removing it and see it it works.
      I am on a desktop machine with a Nvidia GTX 970. Its up to date and had a new driver definition update installed a few weeks ago. It had worked since that graphics card update.

Comment

Ok so it won't let me uninstall and individual definition update, and no other updates happened around this time. I don't understand why it's not working all of a sudden!

NOTE: if I start a new tree it works fine it's just when I'm opening already existing ones, even the sample ones it crashes.
        Last edited by r_etheve; 03-20-2016, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I can create a new project, save it and open it again fine but I can't open the sample files or the files of the trees I have purchased.

Can someone please help me, I need to get this working asap.

Also when I try uninstalling speedtree it isn't doing a full uninstall because when I install and run it again it has all my recently opened files etc. How do I do a full clean install?
          Last edited by r_etheve; 03-21-2016, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Hey there,

It's odd that new trees work fine, but the old ones don't. It's possible some some of the old files have been corrupted. In addition to making sure that all your graphics card drivers are up to date, redownload a tree or two that you have purchased and attempt to open those.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Ohlman View Post
              Hey there,

It's odd that new trees work fine, but the old ones don't. It's possible some some of the old files have been corrupted. In addition to making sure that all your graphics card drivers are up to date, redownload a tree or two that you have purchased and attempt to open those.
              Yeah its really odd, I have tried doing those things, I redownloaded them, I even copied my purchased trees from my pc and put them on another pc and tried them and those same files work fine. I don't believe it is the files at all I think it is speedtree itself.
              I have an Nvidia GTX 970 and it is up to date with the most current driver.
              This issue is driving me crazy and holding up any progress on my work.
              Last edited by r_etheve; 03-22-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

After a lot of frustration and messing around and troubleshooting with unfortunately no assistance I have managed to fix this issue. For anyone else experiencing this issue or wanting to do a fresh install of speedtree the user pref's are all in the registry. Open regedit.exe and navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" delete the folder called "IDV, Inc." and when you reopen speedtree it will recreate all of this again fresh.

Comment

Hey,

Glad you found a fix for your computer!

Comment

Working...
                  X