Clear All

• Redshift Material Conversion

Hello There!

I'm not sure which material belongs to which leaf. Would you please help

Thank you,
    L
    Attached Files

Hi lisabytheseaart,

Have you exported the model from SpeedTree Cinema and imported it into Maya using the script available in the SpeedTree Cinema "scripts" folder?

Comment

Hi Kat!

In Cinema, I selected the export mesh option

Would you run through the step by step for the scripts folder procedure please. Your help is greatly appreciated!

L
      Last edited by lisabytheseaart; 05-16-2020, 01:38 AM.

Comment

lisabytheseaart My apologies! I should have included a link to our docs! I'll quote it but the docs are an awesome resource so I'll link to em anyway.

To install it, in Maya, open the Windows→Setting/preferences→Plug-in Manager menu item. Select the “Browse” button along the bottom and select the script, which can be found at <apps install>/scripts/Maya/SpeedTreeImporter.py.
        Note: For the plugin to “auto load” on the next run, you will need to also check Auto Load next to it in the Plug-in Manager and make sure that you add a line to your Maya.env file similar to the following, so Maya can find it again: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=<apps install>/scripts/Maya

Importing: Once the plugin is installed, you will now have new file types available for import in Maya: SpeedTree, SpeedTree for V-Ray, and SpeedTree for Mental Ray, SpeedTree for Redshift, SpeedTree for Arnold (aiSurface), SpeedTree for Arnold 5 (aiSurfaceShader), and SpeedTree for Renderman.

When one of these file types is chosen, it will load a SpeedTree Material (.stmat) file. You don't need to worry about the format of the actual mesh exported from the SpeedTree Modeler, as that information is stored in the “.stmat” file. The only difference between the three importers is the type of materials made after the mesh itself is imported.

If you wish to change how the materials are created, or add completely new material types, the plugin's python script has been designed to be easily extensible in this manner.

Extending the Script: All you need to do is add or change one of the classes that inherits from SpeedTreeImporterTranslatorBase. You will need to have a “description” member and a CreateMaterial() function that does the actual creation of the material and returns a shading node, based on the information in the SpeedTreeMaterial class that is passed in. Hooking the material up in the correct place on the mesh is all handled for you elsewhere.

For examples, please see the SpeedTreeImporterTranslator, SpeedTreeImporterVRayTranslator, SpeedTreeImporterMentalRayTranslator, SpeedTreeImporterRedshift Translator, SpeedTreeImporterArnoldTranslator, SpeedTreeImporterArnold5Translator, and SpeedTreeImporterRenderman classes in SpeedTreeImporter.py.

(http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=impmaya)

Hope this helps!

Comment

Yes, this has been very helpful, KatLeeHong

Two issues I need your help with:
          1.) I'm using Maya 2019 and I downloaded a v7 asset; selected all mesh, upgraded it, and exported mesh as .fbx
          However, the leaves textures are missing after this procedure (see attached)

I'm also trying to convert all the textures to Redshift Materials

2.) On another topic, I'm also confused about the SpeedTreeImporter TranslatorBase. What does this do?

Many Thanks!
          L

Attached Files

Comment

Hello KatLeeHong
            I purchased the sunflowers asset and have successfully textured the solo sunflower_low, thanks to SC's help
            However, sunflowers_patch_low (v7) doesn't export the stems at all, after upgrading in speedtree

Would you please help? I've been trying to work with this asset for a week, and I'm running out of time...

Many Thanks,
            L
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh YAY. Resolved finally!
              @KatLeeHong

For texture AO, do you know which texture option would this belong?

Thanks!
              L

Last edited by lisabytheseaart; 05-22-2020, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X