Strange LOD scale when "Use Actual Size" is ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange LOD scale when "Use Actual Size" is ON

Hello! Strange things happen when i check the box "Use Actual Size". Here is the video: https://youtu.be/0g6d9kD-dMo
    The left geometry is loaded as a static mesh (mesh force) and LOD switching is OK. Right geometry is the same and it is OK too, but in case with "Use Actual Size" it is not on last LOD.
    Same issue with fronds: https://youtu.be/myHHAikuA30 Something is going wrong.
    Last edited by Alexey; 05-27-2020, 07:04 PM.

Hello, from what i can tell from the video- my guess is that in the xy plane you're losing polygons that shift the mesh up or down making it seem like it's getting larger or smaller. Can you check in the perspective view and see if your mesh pops up or down ?

Comment

Originally posted by SarahScruggs View Post
      Hello, from what i can tell from the video- my guess is that in the xy plane you're losing polygons that shift the mesh up or down making it seem like it's getting larger or smaller. Can you check in the perspective view and see if your mesh pops up or down ?
      No, the mesh is scaling. In some cases it does and in others it doesn't. The perspective view is captured on the video. No popping up and down and the branch is flat with no deformations at all.
      Last edited by Alexey; 06-01-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks Alexey! Would you be able to send your file as a "save as with assets" in a new folder? If you send that zip to [email protected] we can take a look at the bug. Thanks!

Comment

I sent the model to your email address and I think I understand what's going on. This is because SpeedTree somehow takes the model's bounding box and use it to correct the model's size when the "Use Actual Size" is on. Because LOD2 (simplified) geometry is larger than LOD0 (detailed) geometry, it has a larger bounding box, so SpeedTree scale up the LOD2 geometry.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	lodbbdize.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	8826
          I decided to check my guess and loaded meshes with the same bounding box (just added some boxes arround the mesh). When bounding boxes of LODs match it works perfectly!

The greater the difference in the geometry of LODs the more SpeedTree will increase (or decrease) their geometry when the "Use Actual Size" is on.

Comment

Thanks for your time and file to report all this! The dev guys have taken a look and there's definitely a bug in there.
            The issue here was some differently scaled LODs- that last one being just slightly larger. There was an issues with the "use actual size" reading from the LOD scaling. We are going to make this fix for v9 to where the scaling there will always be true with "use actual size" on. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Comment

Working...
            X