Indi for none Game Designers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indi for none Game Designers

I'm not sure if thats planed or suggest before. But as an independent 3D artist, with a small yearly revenue its quite a heavy investment to buy the full studio version.
    I'm not a game designer, and I do not understand why they get it all so much cheaper.
    Without the Indi plan I couldn't for example afford Megascans.
    Especially users who not using 3dsmax have the need for a good tree designer.
    ndeed a yearly Indi for 3dsmax and full unlimited copy of growFx cost less then a yearly subscription of Speedtree.
    Thats one of the main reason I stepped back from your product.
    Now, I really don't want to discuss which software is better, especially as I hate working in Windows, but you really ignore a lot of potential users with your current product politic.
    But of course you know that all better than me. So don't take me wrong, your product is good, its just a heavy investment especially if you not doing trees all the time.

One company that did a really clever method of paying for its service is reality capture.
    You buy credits, that you use every time you export a model (you can export a bought scan as many times you want, you only pay once). The amount is based on complexity. Not sure if that would work, but its an idea to gain more users.

regards

It certainly does a while to refresh or learn the business model. ^^

From a indie, small developer or a freelancer perspective I sort of agree.

If you will read my post Robert, you should understand why game designers version is relatively cheap.

19/month is not much.
    "With a direct workflow into each engine, subscribers get access to the power of SpeedTree for Games for only $19 a month (or free for Lumberyard)."
    However, I have heard that some changes are coming and it will be more expensive. Due removal of monthly subscription? Is that true?

Does a single license cover both ST for UE4 and ST for Unity?

In the matter of fact, today I had a conversation where I said that Speed Tree is almost industry standard in video game development. If not, that's only because of the pricing.
    Pricing was always an issue, in every studio I worked at.

Personally I have bigger problem with ST licenses. None of versions as far as I know allows to export a plant with generated LODs to FBX file.

Referring my post here: https://forum.speedtree.com/forum/sp...an-i-make-them

ST for UE4/Unity doesn't allow to export to FBX. Also "Editing and saving is disabled in export only mode."
    ST Cinema does not offer LOD system meeting a typical project requirements.
    ST Studio does not offer LOD system meeting a typical project requirements.
    ST Modeler does not offer LODs (if remember correctly)

Update: Perhaps 3dsmax plugin solves fbx issue. I'd like to hear a word about it. How about 3dsmax 2020, 2021, 2022 support? Did it end at 2019?
    http://docs8.speedtree.com/engine/do...d=3dsmax:start

"SpeedTree Cinema and SpeedTree Studio only have LOD controls for degrading the tree's individual generators at a single level of detail state.
    however, it is still easy to change the detail of the tree in Cinema and Studio by changing generator LOD values, but multiple resolutions will need be configured manually in separate SPM files."

I am nowhere near the position of suggesting what the directors of the company should do and who does it better on the market. Business models are quite rapidly evolving in the industry. What I can do is point out what does not work for me.

Cheers,
    A
    Last edited by ArturPerzyna; 05-20-2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArturPerzyna View Post
      It certainly does a while to refresh or learn the business model. ^^

From a indie, small developer or a freelancer perspective I sort of agree.

If you will read my post Robert, you should understand why game designers version is relatively cheap.

19/month is not much.
      "With a direct workflow into each engine, subscribers get access to the power of SpeedTree for Games for only $19 a month (or free for Lumberyard)."
      However, I have heard that some changes are coming and it will be more expensive. Due removal of monthly subscription? Is that true?

Does a single license cover both ST for UE4 and ST for Unity?

In the matter of fact, today I had a conversation where I said that Speed Tree is almost industry standard in video game development. If not, that's only because of the pricing.
      Pricing was always an issue, in every studio I worked at.

Personally I have bigger problem with ST licenses. None of versions as far as I know allows to export a plant with generated LODs to FBX file.

Referring my post here: https://forum.speedtree.com/forum/sp...an-i-make-them

ST for UE4/Unity doesn't allow to export to FBX. Also "Editing and saving is disabled in export only mode."
      ST Cinema does not offer LOD system meeting a typical project requirements.
      ST Studio does not offer LOD system meeting a typical project requirements.
      ST Modeler does not offer LODs (if remember correctly)

Update: Perhaps 3dsmax plugin solves fbx issue. I'd like to hear a word about it. How about 3dsmax 2020, 2021, 2022 support? Did it end at 2019?
      http://docs8.speedtree.com/engine/do...d=3dsmax:start

"SpeedTree Cinema and SpeedTree Studio only have LOD controls for degrading the tree's individual generators at a single level of detail state.
      however, it is still easy to change the detail of the tree in Cinema and Studio by changing generator LOD values, but multiple resolutions will need be configured manually in separate SPM files."

I am nowhere near the position of suggesting what the directors of the company should do and who does it better on the market. Business models are quite rapidly evolving in the industry. What I can do is point out what does not work for me.

Cheers,
      A
      They dont allow exports for free what type of report is that?????????????/????????

Comment

I think the main advantages of SpeedTree to other software is that its highly artist friendly and fast.
        I haven't seen a product that has that speed (And speed not always was so fast).
        Speed is creative freedom. If I just want some tree with variation and wind, I can take a plugin and buy some library for a low price, or go to turbo squid and download some inexpensive trees with baked animation.
        Just seen an offer, 5 trees, with 75 frames looping animation $69. Drop that Alembic stuff on your proxy and render, simple.
        For all other people however this is not an artist solution, but just a quick fast way.
        So, lets say I could get Speedtree Cinema for $20 per month and buy a model from the shop library, I get that thing same price. If I speed more time to generate trees and plants then I will keep it and maybe create a few trees for the library as well.
        But at the moment there is no Indi version, maybe that has a good reason, but the Indi game dev. that used it for a few years, could also sell its game and become rich. So he never had to pay the same price and got all the benefit.
        Haven't heard of an CG Artist that got suddenly rich, expect game artists.

Comment

I agree, SpeedTree is really the most user-friendly software I've used so far. I don't think this approach is valuable for advanced game development, but for independent devs such ease of use is the whole point of working with SpeedTree. Personally, using this service was super helpful at the start of my carrier. I'm still using it when I need small quick projects to be done. I think it could be compared to unlimited inventories in games, or like to buy wow service for saving time messing around. You get everything at once and decide whatever you wanna do.
          Last edited by Chananain; 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X