Smooth underside of a Mangrove tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth underside of a Mangrove tree

Is there a way to create the smooth underside of a Mangrove tree, were the roots join up at the bottom?

I've tried using a cap method, but just wondering if there's a way to something similar to this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific-Coast-large-mangrove_1.jpg?itok=DeXcIXlK.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	10339

Hey Websin, it is possible, though it does require some finagling to get your tree just right.

Name:	support_mangrove_result.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	10349

I found the most success achieving this shape by setting my trunk and cap generators to "Extend parent" from "Bottom". I then adjusted the profile curves on my trunk base's radius, found under the generator's "Skin" tab, so the capped bottom would be a little smaller.

Name:	Trunk_ProfileCurves.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10350

To make the capped trunk base appear more natural, I added some to the slope and noise. After adding "Roots" (under "Decorations") to the trunk, I increased the absolute value of the Root generator's radius to ensure it's thick enough to better blend the root base and cap together. I added a magnet force below the tree and applied it to the roots so that were drawn towards it, creating that tented appearance.

If you wanted to recreate the root piling as seen in the photo, you could also import a plane or ground mesh and apply it as a mesh force that attracts and obstructs the root twigs.

We also have a livestream on roots if you'd like more detail on using them! Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by KatLeeHong View Post
      Hey Websin, it is possible, though it does require some finagling to get your tree just right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	support_mangrove_result.PNG Views:	4 Size:	549.3 KB ID:	10349

I found the most success achieving this shape by setting my trunk and cap generators to "Extend parent" from "Bottom". I then adjusted the profile curves on my trunk base's radius, found under the generator's "Skin" tab, so the capped bottom would be a little smaller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trunk_ProfileCurves.PNG Views:	5 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	10350

To make the capped trunk base appear more natural, I added some to the slope and noise. After adding "Roots" (under "Decorations") to the trunk, I increased the absolute value of the Root generator's radius to ensure it's thick enough to better blend the root base and cap together. I added a magnet force below the tree and applied it to the roots so that were drawn towards it, creating that tented appearance.

If you wanted to recreate the root piling as seen in the photo, you could also import a plane or ground mesh and apply it as a mesh force that attracts and obstructs the root twigs.

We also have a livestream on roots if you'd like more detail on using them! Hope this helps!
      Thanks a bunch! this helped out a ton. Thanks for the details as well!

Comment

Working...
      X