Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Mesh Random Orientation Problem

Hi, everyone!
    Is it a Speedtree hardcoded randomness or there is some parameter cause this leaf mesh behavior? (Screenshot attached)
    To my mind I set to 0 all orientation related parameters but leaf meshes were in the different direction in relation to each other.
    Can someone help me to understand how to align leaf meshes in the same direction? thx in advance.

I dealt with the previous issue unchecking "flip" in the "skin" tab which gave me the same orientation of all my leaf meshes.

But I figured out that using roll\rotation somehow flips leaf mesh and didn't understand how to prevent having this behavior...
    Any ideas folks? thx in advance.
    It would be great to have checkbox to freeze a flipping leaf meshes in terms of rotation\rolling.
    MichaelGotti
    Last edited by MichaelGotti; 01-17-2022, 04:40 PM.

Comment

There is a Gif represents my issue

https://i.imgur.com/U1Exado.gif

Comment

Hey
        MichaelGotti
        MichaelGotti, after checking with our engineering team, the issue you're experiencing here inspired them to add a feature into the upcoming v9.1.0 build to address the behavior you captured.

Until the build is released, achieving the effect you're describing here may be possible with manual editing; try to get the model most of the way there, then node edit to get the final form just right.

For more specific tips, do you have reference photos for the design you're working towards?

Comment

Hi. It would be great and very useful! I'm looking forward to having this opportunity!

I looked through previous forum pages and found your temporary solution and used it waiting a new checkbox from your team

Originally posted by KatLeeHong View Post
          Hey
          Karsten
          Karsten: if you use a leaf generator (instead of a frond gen on a branch spline) and duplicate it, there is an option in the leaf gen properties > skin to cross. That is your "traditional" criss-cross plant setup. Our lead artist gave me some helpful tips to pass on regarding your cluster facings questions:

To orient the leaf mesh upward, use orientation, unification: global > sky influence 1 to have the clusters face up. Then duplicate and cross as described above.
          You can also copy the leaf and use "final adjustment > right" to turn them.

The orientation of the anchor is decided by the direction the toggle is placed in the leaf cutout; it's better to use an anchor.

Another good practice for the anchor is to take out any orientation controls, make sure the mesh cutout has the anchors in good positions, and use just the final adjustments up and out, or curl and fold to further shape the clusters.

Hope this helps!

Using this method causes inappropriate "Align" behavior. ( I will attach gif )
          Branches (leaf meshes) start using different axis after your trick when using "Align" in "Local Orientation" in "Orientation" tab.

I understand that it is predictable because of using trick.

I will attach a gif how "Align" works in "Local Orientation" in "Orientation" tab:
          1) before trick ("cross" checkbox set to false and "sky influence" set to 0)
          2) after trick ("cross" checkbox set to true and "sky influence" set to 1)
          MichaelGotti
          Last edited by MichaelGotti; Yesterday, 09:49 AM.

Comment

There is a gif

https://i.imgur.com/7ZhNoW9.gif

Comment

I was inspired by some Poplar tree found on some store and I wanted to create game version of it.
              As far as I understand poplar branches have an out-of-trunk branch direction and I tried to reproduce such behavior.

Attached Files

Comment

This is what I have using your trick and a manual editing

Video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40kjg6m1rb...ExeVs.mp4?dl=0
                Attached Files
                MichaelGotti
                Last edited by MichaelGotti; Yesterday, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Dang, you're killin it, that model looks awesome! Great use of the workaround

Comment

I hope it doesn't mean that you wouldn't add a new checkbox discussed previously

Comment

Working...
                    X