Сhanging the texture along the mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Сhanging the texture along the mesh

Hi. How do i change the texture along the trunk like in the image?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	19248be50208c77c01763c0657d1ba4720cb8096.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	11565

Hello Zik

There are two ways to create gradient texture change on the trunk.

1- Shell Node
    You can add a shell node to you trunk. This node will duplicate a section of the trunk's geometry at a wider radius to cover the original trunk. In other words, it will add a small layer to cover part of your branch with another texture. You could assign the darker material to it and add a gradient from black to white to the opacity map. You can find more information about it here. If you plan to export your tree into an engine, I would go with option 2 for a smoother result.

2-Change extension material
    For this method, you will need 3 materials: dark, gradient from dark to light, light. Starting with a trunk node, go to its material properties and assign the dark material. Then add a branch node to the first trunk node. In its Generation panel, set the Extend parent Type to Any with a count of 1. Then, in the material properties, press on the + next to extension and assign the gradient material. Finally, you can add a new branch node to the previous one and redo those last steps, but with the light material. You will need to use absolute values for the UV mapping to make sure there is no seam between your textures.

We hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by genevieve View Post
      Hello Zik

There are two ways to create gradient texture change on the trunk.

1- Shell Node
      You can add a shell node to you trunk. This node will duplicate a section of the trunk's geometry at a wider radius to cover the original trunk. In other words, it will add a small layer to cover part of your branch with another texture. You could assign the darker material to it and add a gradient from black to white to the opacity map. You can find more information about it here. If you plan to export your tree into an engine, I would go with option 2 for a smoother result.

2-Change extension material
      For this method, you will need 3 materials: dark, gradient from dark to light, light. Starting with a trunk node, go to its material properties and assign the dark material. Then add a branch node to the first trunk node. In its Generation panel, set the Extend parent Type to Any with a count of 1. Then, in the material properties, press on the + next to extension and assign the gradient material. Finally, you can add a new branch node to the previous one and redo those last steps, but with the light material. You will need to use absolute values for the UV mapping to make sure there is no seam between your textures.

We hope this helps!
      Thank you very much. 2nd solution worked for my situation

Comment

Working...
      X