Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpeedTree 9 Modeler For Games: Vertex Painting Materials/Textures on Trees + Updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedTree 9 Modeler For Games: Vertex Painting Materials/Textures on Trees + Updating

Hi
    Is there a way to apply a different material/texture to the vertex-painted parts of the tree?​ I've looked through the documentation and several tutorials and couldn't find a way to do it.

Also -- how can I update my SpeedTree 9.1.1? I've seen that there's a new version but I don't know how to update my installation.

Hello BarbazimStudio !

Visualizing blending materials using vertex color is not an option that is currently available in the modeler at this moment, but maybe we can help with your project if you tell us a bit more about it!
    If you need vertex color only on the trunk, an option could be to use another DCC to apply the vertex color first, for instance Substance painter where you could visualize your materials, and then build your tree in Speedtree on your imported trunk mesh.

Regarding the update, you can access it by login to our website https://store.speedtree.com/. If you need helps with your account, feel free to shoot us a line at [email protected]

Let us know if that helps!​

Comment

Hi genevieve!

Thank you for your reply!

We're currently working on our narrative-survival game, and it requires a lot of work with trees. We've been using SpeedTree for the past half year to do all kinds of vegetation.
      We managed to improve our blending inside SpeedTree, but unfortunately it doesn't pass on to Unity URP when we import the tree. We tried extracting the materials and changing some settings, but nothing improved the blending inside the engine.

SpeedTree version:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	speedtreeblending_tree02.png
Views:	27
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	12263

Unity Version:

Name:	unityblending_tree02.png
Views:	33
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	12262

Is there a reason why it wouldn't pass on during the export process? Is the issue more on SpeedTree side or Unity side?
      We did the blending in ST by manipulating the Blend parameters in the Skin tab, we tried to get the textures to blend together in the welding points. What we are trying to do is to create a moss effect on some of the branches.

Comment

Hello BarbaraDlp !

To export the vertex blending, you need to check the option Vertex Blends in the export to game window:

Name:	image.png
Views:	26
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	12283

I should mention that the blending will not appear as smooth as in the modeler unfortunately. It is designed that way to obtain better runtime performance, but the issue as been raised with Unity.

We hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
        X