Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying trees instead of proxies

Hey

I can't display purchased trees instead of the proxy spikes when using the world modeler. I'm exporting everything to Houdini, but would like to see a preview and also randomize the trees before i send it over. Do i have to convert the trees? Using cinema btw.

Any tutorials or help would be appreciated

Thanks

You can import the mesh as an .OBJ file into Speedtree and assign the mesh to the proxy. Since I an unsure of how large your scene is, I would suggest that you be aware of the triangle count when working.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

It helps a bit. But will the trees get random attributes or will they just get random scale and rotation? What is the general workflow for setting up big forest's? Or is it best exporting trees individually and scattering them in houdini? Couldn't find much info about this.

Thanks for the tips

Comment

World building basically scatters instances of the original, so they only get different translation, rotation, and scale (all configurable). When we build forests, we usually use 2-4 variations of a particular tree scattered together. Those variations, plus the different rotation/scales, plus the different lighting that arises from the scene, generally breaks up the monotony enough to make a believable but optimal forest.

You can do it all in houdini or any other app if you want. But the world building in the modeler, with masking based on elevation, slope, and images makes it easy to create an interesting and believable forest for your scene.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, it helped a lot. Is it the same procedure when using wind? Found out it could be quite heavy to read in the point cache files.

Comment

I *imagine* so, but the particulars would be up to the program you're using. Just make sure to use instances and not copies for the tree placement when the vertex cache is involved. Our scripts should be setting it up that way.

You'll have to avoid highly directional wind effects if you allow the instances to be rotated (so trees won't be noticeably blowing in different directions), but you won't notice gentle swaying when it's rotated.

Comment

Ok.

I think I'll set up the wind inside of houdini since everything comes grouped and write out my own bgeo files.

Thank you for the help

Comment

Working...
              X