X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zaxxon
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
    FBX is just the preferred route for export because it can handle wind animations and multiple texture layers. If you don't require detail texture layers (which are usually used for moss on trunks and such), then the OBJ format would work fine. I imagine both Terragen and Vue can import the OBJ files exported from the SpeedTree Modeler.

If you need wind animation, however, you will have to go through Max or something else that can import FBX. How to take that from Max to Vue, however, I am unsure.
    Thanks Greg. Maybe I'm over thinking my needs here. I don't need the trees for animation at this time, frame render times being what they are. The layered textures would certainly enhance the whole "hero-tree" intent so I still would like to hear and see anyones successful workflow from Speedtree to Terragen/Vue. Understandably the demo doesn't allow complete export, so I'll try the truncated output and see what happens!

Leave a comment:

• Greg Croft
    replied
    FBX is just the preferred route for export because it can handle wind animations and multiple texture layers. If you don't require detail texture layers (which are usually used for moss on trunks and such), then the OBJ format would work fine. I imagine both Terragen and Vue can import the OBJ files exported from the SpeedTree Modeler.

If you need wind animation, however, you will have to go through Max or something else that can import FBX. How to take that from Max to Vue, however, I am unsure.

Leave a comment:

• zaxxon
    started a topic Evaluating Speedtree studio

Evaluating Speedtree studio

Hello. I'm working with Terragen 2 and Vue to create natural scenery and curious as to how Speedtree can work with those programs to provide high resolution foreground models. I also have Max as my primary general 3D tool. Having read some comments here, the process of taking a Speedtree model via FBX to Max would complete the first step, however neither Vue or Terragen offers FBX import, so any textures/displacements would have to be baked at export and suffer some loss of detail in the host renderer (??). I've never used the collada import function in Vue, and at this time would prefer to concentrate on Terragen, which has a small implementation of FBX but unfortunately no FBX object import at this time. If anyone has any experience or examples of a workflow from Speedtree to Terragen or Vue I would be most appreciative of your insight. Thanks!
Working...
X