Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird leaf fonds / mesh?

Hi,

We bought the european birch from the library, I notice there are some dodgy leaf fond meshs as part of the leaf which do not render pleasantly.

How can these weird parts be fixed?
    Sorry if this is a silly question, we are new to speedtree creation.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	weird fonds.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	3219

Hello,

Do you mean european white birch? Or european beech? I'm guessing you mean beech since I found a similar problem in it.

It looks like jitter (which moves vertices in random directions) isn't playing nice with that particular leaf mesh. It could be how it is tessellated, but I am not sure. If you set the "Meshes:Jitter" property on the leaves to 0 instead of 0.2, the leaves lose those crazy kinks in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
      Hello,

Do you mean european white birch? Or european beech? I'm guessing you mean beech since I found a similar problem in it.

It looks like jitter (which moves vertices in random directions) isn't playing nice with that particular leaf mesh. It could be how it is tessellated, but I am not sure. If you set the "Meshes:Jitter" property on the leaves to 0 instead of 0.2, the leaves lose those crazy kinks in them.
      Hi Greg, thanks for your reply.

It was the European Aspen we purchased - https://store.speedtree.com/trees/?t...ort=CategoryID
      The jitter was set to -0.1, changing this to 0 has helped, but still its not looking too great. For distance work this would be fine, but for foreground elements, looks pretty sloppy -

Click image for larger version

Name:	jitterreduction.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2958

Comment

Hrmm, yeah. I admit that is not a great leaf mesh when you are up close, mostly because of the low res stem part.

You can try making your own leaf mesh to replace it in max/maya/etc. Or, I had pretty good results using the built-in mesh generator. Switch to the EuropeanAspenLeaf material and click the generate mesh button below the image. I used the adaptive algorithm with 12 corners, add the mesh center as the center, and set the z offset to -4 for a bit of curve. Be sure to place the pivot at the bottom of the stem (just click and move it in the image) as that is where it will be placed on the tree. Then after you click ok, it'll make a new mesh. Drag (from the hand icon in the mesh asset bar) and drop onto the leaf generator or the leaves on the tree. Then, since this mesh is a bit flatter, I adjusted the variances on the up/out/right rotation properties on the leaves to spread them out. I found that gave some pretty acceptable results.

One other thing that is making it match worse is the super white stem in the leaf texture. I just opened it in photoshop and painted some greyish brown over the stem that matched the branch texture. It helped it fit into the tree a whole lot better.

We'll look into updating the model on the store. Thanks for alerting us to it.

Comment

Thanks for your tips there Greg, appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X