X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtree UE4 question

Hi,

First of all congratulation on this excellent product,

I have a question before i star my subscription for speedtree.

Does speed tree offer a way of chopping or cutting trees to pieces?
    if it does how that works on Unreal Engine 4?.

Thanks in advance
    Jack

You can create trees that look cut pretty easily. But SpeedTrees do not currently support realtime cutting/destruction inside UE4.

Comment

Thanks for the info,
      I have two more questions,
      1)Does speed tree allow to make modifications (alow me to program a realtime cutting/destruction for my project?)
      2) Can i export the modeled tree to 3d party modeler?

Thanks in advance
      Jack

Comment

1) You have the code to the importer in UE4, so you can modify that however you want. The actual SpeedTree object is a static mesh inside the engine, so there is some modification you can do there. I'm unsure you could add cutting very easily, though.

2) Not with the subscription version.

Comment

There's a knack to pulling this off well.

The way I'd do it for a large-scale world is to take the tree and chop it in SpeedTree (so you end up with 2 parts), hide the top part leaving just the bottom of the trunk then export then hide the trunk and show the tree and export that as a separate tree.

Now take your 2 trees, optimize them then finally put them together as an actor blueprint and give the tree damage. Once a level of damage is reached turn physics on for the top part of the tree and give it a nudge in a random direction, then add a collapsing sound and you'll have a tree you can chop down.

That is how I would do it in it's simplest form, now I would then go further and add a "log" a "branch" and a "frond" giblets so when you attack the now collapsed trees it breaks apart into it's component parts and those can be picked up, used or built with. Make sure that the component parts are exported directly from SpeedTree as an fbx (or remake the logs in your modeling application and use the SpeedTree textures to make it match if your using the gimped version)

You should now have trees which you can cut down.

Comment

That is a good tip. The subscription versions of the SpeedTree Modeler don't allow exporting meshes, though. But you could do something similar by constructing the trunk and stump externally and bringing them into SpeedTree.

Comment

IÔÇÖm currently trying to achieve the same thing, but how do you hide the stump? @Greg Maybe you can explain how to export the stump and trunk in two separate pieces? (like shown in this example: http://www.speedtree.com/forum/attac...9&d=1409329176)

Comment

Originally posted by gotstyle View Post
                IÔÇÖm currently trying to achieve the same thing, but how do you hide the stump? @Greg Maybe you can explain how to export the stump and trunk in two separate pieces? (like shown in this example: http://www.speedtree.com/forum/attac...9&d=1409329176)

Bump - getting back into this thing, just subbed for a month - would like to the answer too
                (That was my example, above I'm using Unity 5 but the answer should be the same I'd guess)

Comment

Hey there,

As Greg mentioned above:
                  The subscription versions of the SpeedTree Modeler don't allow exporting meshes, though. But you could do something similar by constructing the trunk and stump externally and bringing them into SpeedTree.
                  Regards

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I get that we'd be making it externally and bringing it in. (Something like this? http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=custom_mesh_trunk) I think the part that I'm confused about is -

when we bring it in do we create 2 speed trees? (one for the stump, and one for everything else?)

If so then I think that makes sense, but let me know if he meant another method.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X