Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alembic Export problems

Hi
    we are using SpeedTree cinema 7.0.5 Eval on two machines to test compatibility with Maya before we could actually buy it.
    Speed Tree is great software. Modelling is just a breeze.
    However we are having issues when exporting the growth as alembic.
    One one machine... no matter how many different types of new setups we create and export the growth
    we are having issues with missing UV's
    most of the level 1 or level 2 branches donot have their UV's and the leaves at times have their UV's
    missing at specific frames..

and on other machine.
    The alembic exporter itself doesnt respond. I am not even able to export one single branch scene with growth enabled.

Attached are the screengrabs from our machines,for more information.
    Machine 01
    Click image for larger version

Name:	UVs present.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	3241Click image for larger version

Name:	missing UVs.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	3242

Machine 02

Name:	Alembic_Not_responding.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3243

Hello,

Sorry you're having trouble.

First, I recommend to download the evaluation version again. We put out a 7.0.7 recently, and it fixes a number of issues with Alembic exporting. I'm not sure about the first issue, but the second sounds like one we fixed.

If you still have trouble after that, then we can work through the problems and see if you found a bug.

Comment

That fixed the issues ...
      The new version is working and we are not having that missing UV warnings and the alembic exporter works on both the machines as well.
      Thanks a lot.

Comment

We bought the SpeedTree after checking that the Alembic export worked with the missing UV's coordinates in
        between frames. But it seems like its not fixed.
        when I tried exporting one of our setup, I had the same problem of missing uv's on the leaves
        and I tried with an example scene from speedtree 'Huangshan_Pine' and the problem persisted.
        I have attached the screengrabs referring to the issue.
        We would really glad if the problem is fixed as we are heavily depended on SpeedTree now for our
        present project.

Thanks
        Kishore

Name:	missing UV01.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2968Click image for larger version

Name:	missing UV02.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2969

P.S. It happens specifically when new leaves grow from other parts of the branches.
        Last edited by kguntuku; 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kguntuku View Post
          We bought the SpeedTree after checking that the Alembic export worked with the missing UV's coordinates in
          between frames. But it seems like its not fixed.
          when I tried exporting one of our setup, I had the same problem of missing uv's on the leaves
          and I tried with an example scene from speedtree 'Huangshan_Pine' and the problem persisted.
          I have attached the screengrabs referring to the issue.
          We would really glad if the problem is fixed as we are heavily depended on SpeedTree now for our
          present project.

Thanks
          Kishore
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]211[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]212[/ATTACH]

P.S. It happens specifically when new leaves grow from other parts of the branches.
          Did you ever find a fix for this? We are are having the same issues with random frames dropping the UV's in exported growth alembics

TIA

Comment

Hello,

The problem was with Maya, actually, or at least in the Alembic importer in Maya. It seems to be very picky with degenerate triangles. If one shows up in a cache, it just decides to go bonkers and remove the UVs for that frame.

We worked around it by being a bit more aggressive in removing degenerate triangles. This fix has not made it into a release yet, but it will be in the next one.

Comment

Hi,

Was this problem ever fixed? We are also noticing missing UVs in the exported alembic files in our assets. We are using SpeedTree_Studio_v7.0.7 with CentOS 6.4.

Thanks,
              Sachin

Comment

Hey there,

The first step is to update the Modeler. We've made several fixes since v7.0.7. We're currently in v7.1.6 of SpeedTree Studio. Log in to your account on the store to find the updated file in your available downloads to see if that addresses the problems you're having.

Regards

Comment

Hey there

Just want to know what the outcome of this issue is. We're having the same/very similar issue where the bark UVs aren't appearing at all within maya. We're running the 8.1.0 speedtree with the latest service pack Maya 2017. Are there any specific settings that we might need to use to get the export to work properly?

We keep getting
                  Code:
                  // Warning: UV set sample size is: 400284 expecting: 109095 or 397948 //
                  when we load a model into maya.

Thanks

Liam

Comment

v8 is completely different when it comes to exporting, so it is most likely not the same issue.

But we have had a few sporadic reports of UVs going missing in v8 with Maya, and we have not been able to track it down. If you have a particular tree that always does it, please send it to [email protected] with a screenshot of your export settings, and perhaps we can track it down.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Greg
                      Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
                      If you have a particular tree that always does it
                      It's every tree and doesn't matter about the setting, it always happens, if that helps. I spent a whole half day trying out different settings and none of them worked

Comment

Does it only happen when exporting a point cache for wind, or does it always occur?

To help you work around it for now, have you tried Alembic? As long as you use our import plugin (which will handle making materials for you), the workflow for Alembic should be similar to FBX.

Comment

I haven't tried it without as we would need it with the wind. It's the alembic exporting I am referring to

Comment

does not export with wind turned off either

Comment

I have been looking into this today, and I am wondering if you are exporting as quads? It seems we have a bug or two in quad processing on export.

If that is the case, try computing/exporting as triangles instead, at least until we can get another release out with the bugfix.

Comment

Working...
                              X