Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vine Creation Workflow Questions

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions regarding Vine/Ivy creation.

1) I was wondering if someone could describe a workflow for creating vines around objects or a building. From what I can piece together from the forums/tutorial videos/documentations I understand that there are a couple of steps such as creating a Collection, a uses of Zones and using different types of Forces. Just not sure what the order of operations should be.

2) How do you get vines to warp around a mesh in random and different directions as you would naturally see with Vines and Ivy? I've been able to get as far as creating a bunch of Splines and getting them to attract to a mesh but unsure as to have them warp around the mesh in random ways.

3)When you use Hand Drawn is that just a Spline? In the SpeedTree Tutorial: Mesh Forces (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7oKEI9M2s). There's an option to "Add Default Spline" in the Generation Window which I don't have in mine. Perhaps it was changed since then? (video was using v6.1.3, I'm currently Evaluation SpeedTree Modeler v6.3.1)

Thanks in advance!
    J
    Last edited by jasonH83; 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM. Reason: Ivy not Ivory

Hi,

The use of 'Collections' is for a mesh that is SpeedTree generated. If you are growing the vines around a object that you imported into SpeedTree then you do not need to use 'Collections'. As for the use of 'Zones', I would use it only if I want a grouped bunch of vines coming from specific areas, otherwise, you can grow vines around an object without having to use 'Zones'.

Forces is the most important process of controlling vine growth. The object the vines will be growing around needs to be set as the 'Mesh Force'. With the value and the blue and green curves, the other force attributes effects the the look and placement of the vines. You can combine the other forces with the intensity of how much the vines are attracted to the mesh, 'Mesh Force'. For example, if gravity is set to only affect the upper part of the vines and the attraction of the vines is lowered in 'Mesh Force' curve controls, then you can have the vines hang. As for randomizing, you can achieve this by setting a 'Variance' value in the 'Forces', 'Generation', and 'Disturbance' attributes.

The 'Add Default Spine' was hidden in order to streamline the interface. However, you can get to it by selecting the tree node and holding shift down while right clicking. It will be one of the options that appear in the menu.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, that was extremely helpful. I have a better idea of how it works. Thank you!

I do have another question about vines. I'm struggling with getting the bottom of the vines to attract to the mesh properly (picture attached). Increasing the strength value on either the Mesh or the Vines make them go a bit wonky. Are there any other parameters/forces I should use to get the entire vine to attract closer to the mesh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vineAttract.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2970

Thanks again!
      Cheers,
      J
      Last edited by jasonH83; 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM. Reason: moving image

Comment

One thing that I noticed off the bat is that the vines are intersected by the mesh towards the bottom. By extending the radius or the end distance of the vines then this will prevent the intersecting towards the bottom. Also, you can add more points in the curve, which allows better control of the vines in specific areas. So by adding a point, you can increase the mesh force for the vines towards the bottom, and not the top, to get them to attract closer.

Let me know if this works or you.

Comment

For Vines, I tend to create a zone at the top of the mesh and use the mesh force and directional forces to grow the vines. The speedtree mesh tends to attract and collide better in this situation from the tests I have done. Reverse the width curve so that the 'base' of the vine is the thinest and the 'top' is the thickest, so that the vines near the ground are thicker.

-Paul

Comment

Working...
          X