Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramping Up Wind Speed in UE4

Hi there,

I was wondering how you would go about ramping up the wind speed value on the tree asset via the Level Blueprint. I tried using a Timeline Node to control the Speed Component of the WindDirectionalSource but the new values don't seem to take effect when I simulate. It does work however if I don't use the timeline and just hardcode the speed value in the Level Blueprint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedTreeRamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	3245

Thanks!
    J

Admittedly, I'm not well versed in using blueprint, so I am unsure of the specifics of using it with the wind actor.

However, you shouldn't have to ramp the speed up manually like that. SpeedTree already handles the response time of the tree to gusts, wind strength and direction changes, etc. You should just be able to set it to the new value, and the tree will smoothly respond. You can edit the response action in the SpeedTree Modeler if you need to.

Comment

Thanks for the response.!

Yes I did see the Strength and Directional Response Time parameters. Is there a way to modify those at runtime? Say if I wanted to violently change the strength and direction of the wind? I do want to keep the original response times but was thinking of a multiplier or something in case I wanted to change the wind strength and direction.

Comment

No, you can only change the tree's wind behavior in the Modeler. If your wind speed/direction doesn't change most of the time, it doesn't really matter what the response values are (unless you enable gusting in the wind settings, which does actually change the wind speed). So go ahead and tune them for the violent wind effect you want to have.

Be sure to read through the documentation on wind effects to see what you can achieve.
        http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=windwizard
        http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=advancewind

Comment

Working...
        X