How to fit textures correctly to speedtree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fit textures correctly to speedtree

I have tried to using several different kind of textures for speedtree UDK version like those:

{Click on pictures to see them in larger size}

Click image for larger version

Name:	F15.png
Views:	1
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	3253 Click image for larger version

Name:	F16.png
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	3254 Click image for larger version

Name:	F16.png
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	3255

But both give me a problem as you see I can't add the regular leaf as it will need much more leaves and it will take much more polygons than required, and when I add that small branch I found out that the small branch(Marked Red in the third picture) is pointing downwards and and not connected to the branches which of course looks miraculously weird.Can someone give me a few hints on how to make the textures more fit for speedtree or how to globally alter the leaves shape and angle.

Thank You.
    Last edited by usfshihy; 10-07-2014, 01:29 AM.

Hi,

The leaf map you posted looks great, except for the stem not touching the bottom edge. Reasoning being, that if the stem doesn't then you get that disconnected floating look. I am unsure which way you are creating these textures, whether through leaf maker maps or photoshop. From your description, it seems like the mesh is flipped. To fix that, under the 'Meshes' tab window on the right hand side, there are mesh orientation controls. If you enable 'Alignment help' then the goal would be to align the mesh so it grows the same direction as the leaf outline that appears when you enable Alignment help. Also, depending on the settings you have in the Leaf node 'Meshes' group, this can cause the mesh to be pointing downwards. I suggest setting Alignment - 1, Hang - 1, and the rest of the parameters to 0.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

I'll try it now, thanks.

Comment

Okay,I tried the leaf texture after fixing it's rotation in photoshop and it looks great,but the tree really looks very boney and dead,as the leaves are too small and if the number increase they just press over each other,I tried doing some modifications to the branch texture but still it doesn't seem to do it,I really don't know how to make a good mesh which will work correctly and fix this problem.Can you point out how to design something of that shape.
        Last edited by usfshihy; 10-08-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Hi,

It really all depends how many triangles you are going for with the tree. If you are fine with a higher count then I would just add more branch levels. However, if you want don't want to add more branch levels, you can add more branches to the leaf texture/mesh itself. For example, the photo you posted, create a parent branch that that texture would grow off of. As if you are pulling the camera back and showing more of the branches rather than that small part. This way you don't get bunching up of leaves and you still maintain the canopy of the branch structures. If you are making this texture map in SpeedTree, then under 'Tree Properties', you can enable 'Leaf Collision' and control how extreme you want the culling to be by increasing or decreasing the 'Culling' Value. This will help with all the overlapping leaves.

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

Yes,that's a good technique I had my mind about.However I wanna know how to make that for only the higher branches while the lower ones remain more realistic.Is there a way to do that.

Comment

You can use more than one material in a 'Leaf' generator, under the 'Leaves' group there is a plus and minus icon bottom you can select to add more that one material. There is a green curve next to each material which you can edit to control which texture appears where on the tree. For example, if I have a trunk, 2 branch levels and a leaf generator, and I want to more populate texture towards the top of the tree and the less populated texture towards the bottom. Then I select the green curve for the texture with more leaves, change the level from 1 to 3, and set the left hand side point to 0 and the keep the right hand side point at 1. On the other texture, the one with less leaves, I would select its green curve, change the level to 3 and set the left hand side point to one and the right hand side point to 0.

Like this image below:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	help.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2974

Also, here is the docs page on using curves in SpeedTree: http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?i...lingwithcurves

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
              X