Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf question

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and to Speed Tree. I seem to have a handle on the tree structure, however, I appear to be having issues with the leaves. Please see attached. Could someone please tell me what trick is required to prevent the leaves from floating in space?

Thanks

Scott
    Attached Files

Hi!

There are 2 possible reasons why you are getting the "floating leaf" effect. It can be one or the other and sometime both are the culprit at the same time.

1. LOD: Under the branches LOD, there is a parameter called 'Branch Level Threshold'. Depending on the template you use, the default may have the value of this set to something other than '1'. I would change it to '1'. Also, the Green curve next to this parameter usually has a sloped curve. I would set the curve to 'Max'. You should see many of the missing branches appearing all the sudden. You need to do this to all the Branch generators.

2. Too small Radius: Automatically, branches get culled out if the radius is too thin. If the first main branches have the radius tip set to 0, then the radius of each child branch tends to drop dramatically around the tip. It is best to have a capped tip rather than a point for the main branches. By raising the right hand point of the Radius --> Blue Curve, you will notice some children branches appearing. If you are using 'Relative' style for the 'Radius', then I would normally keep the value at 1 or close to it. Reason being that the radius of the child is based of the parent with the Relative style.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

[QUOTE=SoniaPiasecki;4888]Hi!

There are 2 possible reasons why you are getting the "floating leaf" effect. It can be one or the other and sometime both are the culprit at the same time.

1. LOD: Under the branches LOD, there is a parameter called 'Branch Level Threshold'. Depending on the template you use, the default may have the value of this set to something other than '1'.

Hi,

Thank you for the response, however, under the "Branches" properties, I can not find "Branch Level Threshold" you mentioned. Attached is a screen shot of the properties dialog. As you can see in the screen shot, the twigs are highlighted and you can see the twig is question. But when the twigs are not highlighted, the twig is no longer visible in the view port.

Thank you,

Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Each Generator has a LOD group. When you select a Branch Generator, the property bar will appear on the left hand side. Under that, you'll see a variety of groups with different controls. Towards the bottom, one group is called 'Level of Detail', aka LOD. The 'Branch Level Threshold' property is in this LOD group. This should cull the branches back.

Here is also a doc page about what caused this: http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=missing_nodes

Comment

Working...
        X