Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaves disappearing

Hello,

Could someone please explain why the leaves disappear when I scale down the size of the branch in node mode?

Thanks

Scott
    Attached Files

Hi!

There can be a few factors contributing to this. But my first guess would be to check if 'Leaf Collision' is enabled. Because of the scaling down of the branches all the leaves could be culled out because they are colliding.
    If this does not fix the problem, I would check the LOD (Level Of Detail) of the branch and leaf generators. Some of the templates by default have it set in LOD that when the branches or leaves get too small then they are culled out.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by SoniaPiasecki View Post
      Hi!

If this does not fix the problem, I would check the LOD (Level Of Detail) of the branch and leaf generators. Some of the templates by default have it set in LOD that when the branches or leaves get too small then they are culled out.

Let me know if this helps!
      Thank you for the response. The leaf collision is not enabled and being new to ST, the second paragraph is a bit vague. I can not find the area you are referring to. Would it be possible to make a screen shot of the properties dialog you are describing and point to the proper setting?

Thank you,

Scott

Comment

Hi,

Each Generator has a LOD group. When you select a Branch Generator, the property bar will appear on the left hand side. Under that, you'll see a variety of groups with different controls. Towards the bottom, one group is called 'Level of Detail', aka LOD. The 'Branch Level Threshold' property is in this LOD group. This should cull the branches back.

Here is also a doc page about what caused this: http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=missing_nodes

However, another thing that could be causing this is the generation style settings you are using. If you are using Classic -> Relative, Proportional, or Proportional steps, then it bases how many children will appear on the parent depending on the average length of the spine. Example: With these 3 styles I mentioned, if you have a spine length of 8, and 2 steps with 2 leaf meshes growing from that with a 'First' of .4 and a 'Last' of .8, then when you make the spine length smaller, the leaves towards the tip will be culled out because it is no longer long enough to support both steps. If you get too short then it won't calculate any leaves. I would suggest then using 'Absolute' or 'Absolute Steps' if you plan to hand edit this. Or, if you really do not want to change any of the settings and it is only this one branch you wanted, then when you select the branch for node edit, you can increase the 'Number of Children' in the properties for that one node you are editing on the left hand side.

Let me know if this works.

Comment

Working...
        X