Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedTree 7 default unit scale issues

Hi,
    Thank you for such a great piece of software.
    I have ran into a lot of issues with SpeedTree 7. The first thing is that the units are not the same as version 6, which means it messes up all the assets (meshes) that was in a version 6 model (if it was not embedded). Now all the version 6 models are useless as we don't even have access
    to that version. The same thing applies when importing exported FBX files from another software. In 6 we could match everything to be on Feet so when imported it would be a 1 to 1 match. But no matter what I try in version 7 every imported FBX file in SpeedTree is 30 times bigger than usual, unless we use the exporter plugin and that's limited to Obj and not any FBX (Which in any event I didn't want to use it if it even worked).
    I appreciate if you can help me on that as a lot more things are broken on version 7, so I can point them out.
    P.S. : I'm using SpeedTree 7 Studio, Windows 7
    Thank you,
    Ashkan

Hi Ashkan,

Would you be willing to send us one of the trees that loads correctly in v.6, but not correctly in v.7? That way we can take a look at it and see whats happening. Please be sure to use save as with assets from the file menu into an empty folder, then zip up the whole folder and send it to us. [email protected]

Thanks
    Last edited by Dave Ohlman; 10-27-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael,
      What I just thought is that there could be a unit converter (or just a scale attribute with at least 4 decimals precision for an arbitrary scale) in meshes tab of SpeedTree if changing of fbx importer implementation is difficult. Just like the "Orientation" and "Flip" functions in the meshes tab, while retaining the normals and pivot points of the mesh. I'm not sure if that'd work, but it's an option I guess.
      Thank you .

Comment

Hi,
        I was wondering if the problem has been fixed by now?
        Thank you,
        Ashkan

Comment

Hi Ashkan,

Unfortunately, we don't have a fix for this yet. We're looking into it, but we're having to be especially cautious with a unit scale issue as any changes we make could drastically affect results for everyone using the Modeler.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

So basically all SpeedTree 6's file are messed up and no FBX support. Great.

Comment

Hi Ashkan,

We've got a Modeler update on deck soon to be launched. We're hoping to get this issue addressed in it.

Thanks for bearing with us!

Comment

Hi,
                I did update to the latest version and did a couple of tests to verify if everything is fine. Could you please confirm if the issue has been resolved in 7.1.1. Since I still can see that the normals are messed up, though the mesh appears to be imported correctly. I also couldn't see it being listed in the http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=what_s_new either.
                Thank you,
                Ashkan

Comment

Hey Ashkan,

The issue has been resolved in 7.1.1. We had neglected to mention it in the bug fixes, which has now been remedied. Take a look. Glad you caught that.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Dave,
                    Thank you so much for fixing the issue. I'm a happy person again
                    Ashkan

Comment

Not sure it's fixed on 7.1.1 Linux, I was getting some flipped normals from an imported FBX, sometimes on a custom trunk, sometimes on branches and sometimes on both.

Comment

Hi Fredric,
                        I'm on windows and can confirm that there's still some normals problem in importing FBX files, however, the scaling issue has been fixed. I've reported the normals problem to them again in a separate post. I'm assuming they're working on it and hopefully we can get an update on that soon.
                        I know you might lose some of the features of FBX, but OBJs are the next best option as they come in correctly in terms of scale and normals.
                        Ashkan

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTreeUser View Post
                          Hi Fredric,
                          I'm on windows and can confirm that there's still some normals problem in importing FBX files, however, the scaling issue has been fixed. I've reported the normals problem to them again in a separate post. I'm assuming they're working on it and hopefully we can get an update on that soon.
                          I know you might lose some of the features of FBX, but OBJs are the next best option as they come in correctly in terms of scale and normals.
                          Ashkan
                          I' m with you on objs, but I cannot use them. It's FBX or nothing here at work

Comment

Ok then, here's what you can you at least for now until it gets resolved.
                            (I'm assuming that you haven't tweaked the normals too much off their default direction before exporting your custom geometry to SpeedTree or else I can't see a simple fix.)
                            Example 1 : 3Ds max
                            The mesh imported from SpeedTree, which had imported custom geometry, will come in with messed up normals :
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IncorrectNormals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	3004
                            All you need to do is to add a normal modifier to invert all the normal (you may also need to unify the normal). Remember, in Max if unify normals of the modifier didn't work, then select them in sub-object level, (polygon of editable poly)and select the unify command of editable poly. That'll take care of it.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	CorrectNormals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	3005
                            I need to mention, that based on the export options from SpeedTree's dialog you may need to do that for separate groups as you might have defined. (branches, leaves, ...). It'll take a couple of seconds even you have millions of polygons.
                            Example 2 : Maya
                            The same thing applies, just instead of having a modifier you may need to go to polygon modeling menu, under normals, select reverse. There's also an option if you want to unify them (make them all face the same direction) and that's called conform in Maya. (again under normals > conform).
                            If it didn't work for you please let me know.
                            Ashkan

Comment

Regarding the flipped normals issue I just reverse the trunks/branches normals when needed. To me it's not that big of a deal but I wanted to report the issue as the changelog stated it was fixed when it's not. I'm bookmarking the thread just in case.

Thank you for your time, Ash!

Comment

Working...
                              X