Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom mesh Trunk/ Branch generation

Hi,

I defined a custom mesh trunk and imported as .obj.
    It worked fine, BUT, when I generate the Branches they appear not in line with the imported Trunk.
    Is there any way to translate them (not one by one with the node editor) or to translate the "generation axe" (I mean the
    axe along the one they are generated).

I hope I could explain it good.

Thanks

Hi,

From my understanding, it seems like the branches is not generating from the same point as the trunk? It may be that the trunk mesh is not centered at zero in the program you used to model it. The branch generates from the center and if the imported mesh is not centered then it will not match. If this doesn't fix the problem then send me a zipped folder of the .SPM file and all its assets.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      The branches are generated at the center, but due to the not straight Trunk mesh, the branches on the top are not correcly "merged" with the
      up part of the trunk.
      so my idea was to translate a bit the "branch group" and fix the problem.

any suggestion?

Comment

Well, I suppose it is not possible...

Comment

Unfortunately, in this situation, you will need to node edit the branches that do not align with the mesh trunk. You can individually node edit the main level branches for placement, by selecting the branch and using the 'X', 'Y', 'Z' translate controls and the 'Sink' attribute. Because it is an imported mesh, the information from the mesh that the branches need to align is limited. However, any generators that are applied to the branch generator will work normally.

Good luck.

Comment

Just thought I'd chime in on this one. If you model your mesh as mostly straight you can use the spine properties or hand drawing to deform it in SpeedTree. Then the branches will come off the spine and match up.

Alternatively, you could do this:

1) Use your mesh as a mesh force and include it in the model.
            2) Make a hand drawn spine that snakes up through it.
            3) Make branches grow from that spine.
            4) Hide the hand drawn spine when you're done.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hello, sorry for digging up an old thread, but could you elaborate the steps on how to deform custom mesh with hand drawn spine please? I've got my custom mesh imported, but i'm not sure if it should be added as mesh frond, imported as geometry for branches to grow on, should it be applied as a mesh force. I don't know how to activate spine on a custom mesh. It's really difficult to find proper steps for this, just bits and pieces here and there.

Comment

Hi,

The option you use really depends on the mesh and if the custom trunk has to be kept at the exact size or not. If you use the Mesh Frond approach, the trunk mesh won't be the exact size it was in the outside program. So if you don't need the size to match up exactly, then feel free to use this method.

The second approach is to create a Zone generator, enable the 'Meshes' group in it's properties, then enable 'Include in Model', 'Place at Origin' and 'Use Actual Size'. You will then assign the custom trunk and its textures under 'Geometry' and 'Material'. You can then create a Branch generator and set-up the branches up. If the custom trunk mesh's overall shape isn't very linear, then it will be harder to place the branches. Since the mesh isn't made in ST, it is hard to know the exact shape of the trunk model. So you may have to use the 'Sink' property and node edit the branches.

You can also create a ST generated Trunk by using a 'Trunk' generator, match the basic shape and size to your custom mesh and grow the Branch generator from that. You can use the properties to match the shape or just hand-draw it. This way you will have an easier time with the placement. You can then just hide the ST generated Trunk.

If you use the Mesh Frond approach and the custom mesh trunk's shape is making it hard for branch placement, you can use the same technique of creating a Trunk generator to help with the branch placement.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I'll check these out. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X