Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start Angle on spines growing off custom mesh....making them point out from center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Angle on spines growing off custom mesh....making them point out from center

I have a problem I want to make a group of spines radiate outwards from a custom mesh. When I use a standard zone it's no problem. When I grow them off a custom mesh zone, all the spines angle in one direction, they don't do it in a radial fashion. I'm posting some images to show. First one is the wrong result. Second is the correct one. I need what is happened on the second image when growing from a mesh zone. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	3266

Name:	right.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	3267

This would be because on a custom mesh, there is no center spine to orient the the spines you want to generate on top. There are ways to achieve this though. Would you mind sending me a zipped folder of this files and all it's assets? This way I can ensure you'll be able to get the effect you need.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Sonia,

Here's the files. I look forward to how to solve this problem! Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43g2otkeep...dtree.rar?dl=0

Comment

Hi,

I am attaching a zipped file with the changes we made to get the effect you described to us.

So things you will notice...
        1. There is a terrain mask that is being used to keep the keeps the same height of the mesh. You can also do this by using a texture mask as well.

2. On the mesh used as a zone, 'Surface Adherence' is set to the value of '1' , which is under the 'Meshes group when you select the 'Zone' generator.

3. There is also a Magnet force in the center, which is applied on the spikes, that pushes the spikes away from the magnet and recreates the ring effect. The forces strength is set to a negative value in order for it to push out instead of pulling towards.

Let me know if this works for you!
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the setup Sonia. Couple of issues. If you up the length segments with this setup, you start to see a bend in the spikes. If I wanted straight spikes, i'm not sure if this will work. I'm attaching a picture of the plant I'm making. Maybe there is another solution that won't run into this issue. I need the spikes to radiate from the center out, which without a position, I don't think I can get them to array right. Thanks again for your help!

Name:	Acropora_coral_ffs.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2982

Comment

Hi,

Attached below is another version with using your photo as a reference. As you see, I just placed the plane mesh in place but did not have the spines attached as a child of the mesh. Instead, I used the 'Sink' control and the 'start angle', with their curves, to achieve the radial spiral effect with the outward bending. I didn't use a magnet for this one. You will have to use some individual node editing in the end to delete the ones that no longer grow on the mesh since the mesh is oblong instead of circular.

Hope this helps!
            Attached Files

Comment

Cool, that'll do I guess it's not possible then to have the spines make that pattern while attached to a mesh? Seems like a limitation. This works for a mesh like the one i'm using but say I had a rock...or very uneven surface. You would have a lot of geo generated that would be hidden inside the rock...thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X