Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I automate conversion from FBX to SPM to SRT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I automate conversion from FBX to SPM to SRT?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and not too familiar with the SpeedTree editor since my work has mostly been with engine integration but we have now run into the following problem:

We need to convert a large number of FBX models (rocks and similar) to SRT files in order to use the SpeedTree sdk to render them efficiently.

Right now the workflow is:
    1. Open a new tree in the editor.
    2. Import an FBX and select "As an object that is part of the model".
    3. Save the file
    4. Open the SpeedTree compiler.
    5. Add your new SPM
    6. Compile

If we are to do this for more than a handful of meshes it'll take an unacceptable amount of time from our artists.

What I would like to do is to make a script that can do all of this with a single command but I haven't seen anything built in to help with this. I saw that if you disable "Use compression" before saving the SPM it generates an XML format file and if you also disable "Include geometry" it'll read the geometry from the FBX so I thought I'd reverse engineer that and just generate an SPM file myself but it turns out "Include geometry" must be enabled in order to compile the file to an SRT so I seem to have hit a wall since I can't easily generate the geometry to go in the SPM.

Does anyone know another/better way to do this or should I make this a feature request?

Thank you.

There is no way to do automate this currently.

You mentioned rocks. Are these all small static meshes? It might be easier for you to just load the meshes at runtime and shoehorn them into the grass system in the SDK.

Comment

Alright. I'll have a look at that though it would have been nice to be able to support billboards for all objects.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X