Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll per step (randomisation issue)

Hello

I am using the "roll per step" parameter in absolute steps mode. I am generating one spine per step and using a roll per step of 0.5 to get a nice offset opposite type of phylotaxy. I really just need to randomise the roll amount for each step so that it looks more natural.

However when I adjust the randomise amount (+- button) it seems only to add to the value in each step rather than adding and or subtracting. This has the effect of just pushing the roll further for each step and creating a spiralling effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollper step issue_A.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	3287
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollper step issue_B.JPG
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3288

Is there another way I can randomise this roll amount either side of the current value?

Adrian

Hi,
    I'm assuming you want to achieve the alternate leaf arrangement and not the opposite. In any case, I've attached some images. Hopefully they are useful to you.
    Attached Files

Comment

And here's the last one.
      Attached Files

Comment

Remember that I have only used one generator. I usually recommend using two generators to have more freedom. Also assuming you are going to use leaves (/fronds) instead of branches things are going to change. I have managed to create the most common leaf arrangements as well as most common special cases. I've attached an image to illustrate that, in case you are after a special type just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help (as far as my knowledge allows me).
        Now If a member of SpeedTree allows me I could also attach the .Spm files for everyone to use.
        Ashkan
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Ashkan

Yes alternate is the word I was looking for .
          I found that using the "overall" roll parameter rather than the roll per step seems to work in absolute steps. I like the classic mode set up also but I did find that classic doesn't put a spine exactly at the end like absolute steps does. See image.
          I am using fronds/meshes as leaves. I just can't get the leaf generator to do what I want. Like changing the start angle towards end of the parent node?
          I would love to see your set up of the various types if you are allowed to upload it.

Adrian
          AdrianClick image for larger version

Name:	Alternate_absolute_01.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2998Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternate_absolute_02.JPG
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2999Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternate_classic_01.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	3000

Comment

Hi Adrian,
            I can see what you mean, however, you can force the branch to go to the top of the parent by using a value above 1 for "Last" . See the attached images. I've made the same tree with both "classic absolute" and "absolute steps". The main difference is that the last value is set to 1.08 instead of one. It is quiet common, specially in plants like flowering vines which have different branch lengths. As I also mentioned in my previous post sometimes it is easier to have 3 different generators; 1 for each side and one for the top position (set both "First" and "Last" to the same amount and as high as it is needed to get it to the top).
            Regarding your second question I didn't quiet get it. Based on some assumption I made a simple tree with leaves, as the leaves approach the end of the branch, they start to rotate(face) towards sky more. If that's not what you meant, could you please clarify it a bit more or possibly a screenshot or a real world plant example, so I could take a look.
            Thank you,
            Ashkan
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X