speedtree 8 for unreal 4 wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedtree 8 for unreal 4 wind

Hello. Recently I tested speedtree 8 for unreal 4 and when I enabled wind, it still looks bad and so last gen compared to cinema version wind ! I can apply wind to only one level of branches, all other levels stay motionless and this looks so ugly ! I had a hope that this would improve with a newer version of speedtree, but it is still the same. I need to make some presentation in unreal 4 with realistic wind ! not some cartoony wind with branch bobbing ! This would look ok for 2008, but definitely not for 2018 ! I don't get it ! Technology is here, when everything in the industry is going towards photo realism, why is speedtree wind for game version dumb down on purpose ? So that games never look realistic ? I don't know maybe better wind is more processor intensive, but at least give us the users choice to spend more resources where we need? What is the problem? why can not I assign wind to more than one level of branches like in cinema version ? This is the same program after all. Or is there some hidden option inside unreal 4 or speedtree that enables it ? At least could you enable this option in upcoming updates ? I don't care about how heavy this would be for the processor, I need just one tree that moves realistically !
    Last edited by babamgido; 04-21-2018, 01:50 PM.

Most of the impressiveness of Cinema wind comes from the models being millions of polygons with individual leaves fluttering around. Game-level trees can't be that complex

It can be difficult to tune great wind on game trees, but with a little work, you can get very nice results. Be sure to run the wind wizard first to get things in the ballpark. Then click the fan and edit things from there. You get two levels of branch wind in UE4, fwiw. Don't waste one of those on the trunk. Global motion is usually fine there.

For more information, please see this docs page:
    http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=windue4

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
      Most of the impressiveness of Cinema wind comes from the models being millions of polygons with individual leaves fluttering around. Game-level trees can't be that complex

It can be difficult to tune great wind on game trees, but with a little work, you can get very nice results. Be sure to run the wind wizard first to get things in the ballpark. Then click the fan and edit things from there. You get two levels of branch wind in UE4, fwiw. Don't waste one of those on the trunk. Global motion is usually fine there.

For more information, please see this docs page:
      http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=windue4
      Hello. The whole problem is that I don't see two levels of branches that can be animated, only one level. I searched everywhere, but I only get one level of branches which can be animation. Here is photo attached. You can clearly see only one level, not two ! How can I tune 2 levels of branches, if program shows me only 1 level ?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by babamgido; 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I apologize, I was mistaken about two levels of branch wind in UE4. We have to fit all of our wind data into the available vertex data in UE4, and only one branch level will fit. The wind presets available to you for UE4 give you some options, however. Palm style wind, for example, gives you more directional effects to have fronds whipping in the wind.

That tree is most likely too heavy for UE4 at 400k polys. You'll want to keep most game-level trees below 50k and use LOD. The second wind level doesn't come into play so much in a tree meant for game use since you won't have as many branch generators. Using clusters (http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/d...?id=atclusters) for the twigs and leaves lets you use leaf wind to move those "twigs" around, too. Plus global wind is adequate to move the trunk.

If you have a particular tree on which you're having trouble getting good wind effects, feel free to post it and we can have an artist take a look.

Comment

Working...
        X