Lowest Tree LOD is always vertrical (up) in Unity5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest Tree LOD is always vertrical (up) in Unity5

I started field testing SpeedTree tree's for use in my project and I've come across a rather unique problem where the lowest LOD which I would assume follows the transform always renders up. To test, I'm using the free Speedtree pack on the Unity asset store. See below.

These are placed via simple random instantiation. Is there a step I may have missed or is this a limitation of speedtree?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1.png
Views:	1
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	3294 (LOD 0)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	3295 (LOD 3)
    Last edited by philip.atha; 04-11-2015, 06:57 PM.

Anybody? No? A potential subscription is hanging in the balance here.

Comment

Looks like the trees are billboarded. At the moment there are only horizontal billboards in unity. (maybe unity will integrate the vertical billboards? they are already in the atlas..)

Comment

Hello,

It seems that batched billboards in Unity 5 currently only support rotation about the up vector. Arbitrary rotations are on the roadmap.

If that is the amount of trees you expect to have in your game, you could get away with not using the billboard. Make the lowest geometry LOD as optimized as possible, and then edit the LOD sliders to avoid the billboard entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
          Hello,

It seems that batched billboards in Unity 5 currently only support rotation about the up vector. Arbitrary rotations are on the roadmap.

If that is the amount of trees you expect to have in your game, you could get away with not using the billboard. Make the lowest geometry LOD as optimized as possible, and then edit the LOD sliders to avoid the billboard entirely.
          Thanks gents, that's makes sense. I'll likely have many more tree's than what you're currently seeing, so tossing out billboards isn't really the best idea. I guess I'll just hold out until the product matures.

Comment

Working...
          X