Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout Leaves attached to Anchor Points

Hey Speedtree forum!

Im having an issue where I want to thin out my tree by randomly removing a couple of branches with leaves on them. These branches are spawned using a leaf node from a frond with anchor points on it. The issue Im facing is that the knockout feature doesn't remove anything until I hit 0.5 where it removed all leaves instead of gradually removing more and more the higher I set the value. It feels like the knockout feature only looks at whats spawned from their direct parent and removing based on that and since in my case more or less all my fronds only have one anchor point its removing all of the leaves at 0.5.

The way I would imagine it should work is by removing a percentage of the total spawned leaves from a node. So in this case here below it would remove 36 leaf meshes at 0.5 instead of the current system where it removes all of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LeafKnockoutIssue.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	5117

Does anyone have a workaround for this that might work? Im using v8.1.5.

Cheers,
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinJ; 09-06-2018, 05:58 AM.

Hi,

That is strange that you are having a hard time to just remove some of the leaves. Have you tried editing the Green Curve next to the 'Knock out' property? This way you can limit where the knock out is being applied and the strength. Also, once you edit the curve, you can try using the 'Pruning' curve in that same 'Generation' group to continue to remove more of the leaves.

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

Hey,

In my case none of those settings would help me. Here is a very quick test to show the issue in its simplest form:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	LeafKnockoutIssue2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	5125

In the top one I have 2 anchor points and as expected it removed 50% of the existing 2 leaf cards.
      In the bottom one I have two branches and one anchor point. In this case it removed both leafcards when it should only remove 50%

Hope its a bit clearer now

Cheers,
      Robin

Comment

Hey,

We aren't seeing this on our end, would you mind doing a save as will assets into a new folder, zip it and send it to us at support@speedtree.com? This way we can see exactly what is going one.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey,

The file has now been sent. As you can see in the file you have received from me all the leaves are knocked out at 0.5

Cheers,
          Robin

Comment

Hi,
            ​The Knockout property is working exactly as it should be. However, I can understand the confusion. You have one anchor point placed on each frond. When you went over .5, it was removing all the leaves from the fronds since you had all the green curve levels set to Max.
            ​To remove just some of them, you want to edit the Green Curve at Level 3, which is your 'Trunk Tube' generator that the fronds are growing from. The left hand side of the green curve represents the vase of the branch, and the right hand side the tip of the branch.

​I sent you a edited version of the file in email for you to look at.

​Hope this helps!
            Last edited by SoniaPiasecki; 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Hey,

Yes. I see what you are saying but by using the curve I cant get it to randomly remove leaf cards since it will remove them exactly the same way on all the branches which would be according to the curve.

If you attach a leaf node directly to a branch instead of spawning them from an anchor point it will remove them randomly and also only remove 50% of the leaf cards at 0.5.

Cheers,
              Robin

Comment

Hi,

You are correct that Knockout is removing everything with the same pattern when the leaves are set using anchor points. I have logged this for our team to look at. So at the moment, I would suggest adding one or two more anchor points, increase the 'Knockout' value and then fine tune with the Green Curve.

Comment

Alright cool

Thanks for the help Sonia!

Comment

Working...
                  X