Speedtree v8 beta for Unity 2018.3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtree v8 beta for Unity 2018.3

now that Unity has made the 2018.3.0 beta available, is there a way for Speedtree subscribers to have access to the Speedtree v8 modeler app for Unity (or a beta of that app)? I would love to be able to start testing, as well as learning to use the new software, so that when Unity 2018.3 is released (I

Originally posted by trilo View Post
    now that Unity has made the 2018.3.0 beta available, is there a way for Speedtree subscribers to have access to the Speedtree v8 modeler app for Unity (or a beta of that app)? I would love to be able to start testing, as well as learning to use the new software, so that when Unity 2018.3 is released (I
    i'm unable to import SpeedTree 8 SPM files into unity 2018.3.02b, so I dont think speedtree 8 has been implemented yet. it is currently crashing during import of the SPM file.

Comment

SpeedTree v8 for Unity will be out very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
        SpeedTree v8 for Unity will be out very soon.
        any word on when speedtree v8 is going to be available for testing in the unity 2018.3 beta?

Comment

Originally posted by philwinkel View Post

any word on when speedtree v8 is going to be available for testing in the unity 2018.3 beta?
          Second this notion. We've been waiting patiently to update and modernize our assets.

Comment

mmkay so unity 2018.3 was released today, the release notes seem to indicate that speedtree 8 support was included as part of the release. Is this correct? it seems like speedtree inc is ignoring this thread, i see greg croft and other support people posting all over the place. Can you at least tell us what is going on? we are stuck with these old ugly non - PBR trees, I have bought speedtree 8 trees just to see if they work in unity, the 2018.3 release notes say it was implemented, but i have a feeling it will just crash when i try to import a v8 tree, like in the beta. Your customers would love if you would keep us in the loop. This is getting really old posting here, and searching around, and testing each time a new release of unity comes out just to see if they work yet. I have wasted my time testing with each new release of the beta to see if i can import a v8 tree, it has crashed the editor every time, and my project becomes completely broken until i manually delete the trees from my project and reimport. I've done that about 12 times now, once for each release of the beta. Speedtree v8 is also listed on the unity roadmap as "on schedule" as part of 2018.3 which has now been released today. I have reached out on twitter as well, with very simple yes/no questions, that get no response.

Hopefully you can understand the confusion, when the 2018.3 release notes include speedtree v8 as part of the release, but that hasn't been the case throughout the beta.

Just so no one else wastes their time: i tried importing a v8 tree into unity 2018.3.0f2. it is not crashing anymore, but it still does not work. Apparently the v8 trees need to be saved out with SpeedTree modeler for unity v8. Which as far as im aware has not been released yet.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	cSFtDYE.png Views:	1 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	5614

So i guess the question now is, when is speedtree modeler for unity v8 going to be released? And when are the speedtree v8 assets on the speedtree.com store going to be updated with run-time data for unity?
            Last edited by philwinkel; 12-13-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

We get it, you don't care about or respect your customers enough to have given paid subscribers beta access to the Speedtree 8 modeler for Unity (based on public posts, this was nearly finished back around/before GDC). However, now that Unity has actually shipped 2018.3.0f1 (after much public testing, something you guys may want to consider), what's the story with Speedtree 8 support?

Comment

Stay tuned for some announcements coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SoniaPiasecki View Post
                  Stay tuned for some announcements coming soon.
                  Is there a way to get notified via email about that announcement?

Comment

Hi,

If you are a subscriber to ST, you are automatically enrolled to the newsletter. However, if you aren't and wish to be added, just e-mail us at sales@speedtree.com and let us know. We also keep our blog updated, so you can stay tuned through that as well: https://store.speedtree.com/blog/

Hope this helps!

Comment

Why haven't you been able to provide any updates to your customers yet? Based on posts that were made a full 9 months ago, the only thing holding back Speedtree 8 support in Unity at the time was Unity adding in the necessary code to support the new version. Unity took their sweet time getting there, and even they finished testing and launched their 2018.3 version (with Speedtree 8 support) last month.

Last month!

Based on that, it would seem that the file format work is done and stabilized. And historically, the Speedtree modeler app is essentially the same software for game engines, each version would just contain code specific to that particular engine's operation. You had Lumberyard done nearly 2 years ago. Epic's Unreal engine was done nearly a year ago, and the hints dropped around GDC, everything was waiting on Unity 9 months ago. So here we are, after several months of Unity's public betas, and nearly a month after the official release of Unity 2018.3, you still don't even have any info to share with customers. That tells me that you don't really care about your Unity subscribers, or their project and production schedules.

Comment

Has there been any progress on this? I am still getting the message:

'SpeedTree file does not contain run-time data. Be sure to re-save it using the Unity-specific version of the SpeedTree Modeler'

My software:
                        SpeedTree v8.3.0
                        Unity v2018.3.13f1

Am I missing something?

Comment

Hello,

With SpeedTree v8, you do not import the SPM like you did in v7. You need to export an .st file from the Modeler (which you can still do without an active subscription).

Please see our documentation for more information:
                          http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=qsunity
                          http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=expgame

Comment

Thanks! got it working

Comment

Thank you for bringing great things and updates that bring excitement and value to us

Comment

Working...
                              X