Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttress Roots

Hi all,

Is there any way to make buttress Roots efficiently? The only method I could come up with is creating each root individually and layering on gnarl. Here is what I'm going for:

Hi,

What version of the modeler are you using? With the v8 modeler version, you can use the 'Skin' -> 'Squash' property. You can then rotate it the direction you need. Make sure 'Skin' -> 'Welding' and 'Force ray casts' is enabled though.

Here is a screen shot of what this technique looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roots.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	5858

Hope this helps!

Comment

That looks great. Unfortunately I'm using the Unity modeler, so I don't think it has this feature.

Comment

In this case, I would suggest using the 'Branch' -> 'Flares' property on the trunk to get the initial base of the trunk shape for the roots to come off. Then set your roots towards the base of the trunk by using the first and last settings. You can use a displacement map to squish the roots shape as well. You may need to node edit the position/rotation of some of the roots to prevent failed welds from happening and edit the 'Welding' properties on the roots. Such as increasing the 'Welding' -> 'Distance' and 'Upper Spread' on the roots to get the nice base shape.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I didn't realize that version 8 was out for Unity. This worked perfectly!

Comment

Working...
          X