Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shared textures in modeler are duplicated in unity exports.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared textures in modeler are duplicated in unity exports.

I'm noticing that all I have to do is hit "randomize" then resave the new(ish) tree in the same location with a different filename and it's duplicating all of the textures and materials. Trees that use the same bark and leaf textures and subsequently materials should all share the same textures to keep you from doubling, trippling, etc the number of files and calls required. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
    I'm using the Unity 5 version of Tree Modeler.
    Thanks

-Ethan

Well, it really has no way of knowing they're the same at the time of importing into Unity. If you are sure the textures and atlasses are the same, then you can assign the textures from one to the other. If you are sure all the materials are the same (same geometry types, same wind effects, etc), then you can even assign materials from one tree to the other, further saving duplicate shaders. Then delete the extras. We recommend doing this, especially if you have a few variations of the same tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
      Well, it really has no way of knowing they're the same at the time of importing into Unity. If you are sure the textures and atlasses are the same, then you can assign the textures from one to the other. If you are sure all the materials are the same (same geometry types, same wind effects, etc), then you can even assign materials from one tree to the other, further saving duplicate shaders. Then delete the extras. We recommend doing this, especially if you have a few variations of the same tree.
      I'm not sure why you're saying "it has no way of knowing" considering this is almost 2016, and it knows where the textures you're using came from, therefore unless it has a very very short memory, it should know that.

Regardless, it sounds like if I'm willing to do a little extra work I can assign them manually, but are you talking about in speedtree, or in unity? Because in their native SPM format, they aren't editable in unity that way. You'd have to drag them into the scene and make additional prefabs out of them, and i don't know what the ramifications of that would be.

Comment

The materials and textures are outside the prefab. So you can edit them however you want, specifically to share textures.

But you can drop the tree into the scene, edit it, and make a new tree prefab from it. That works, too, if you want to reassign the materials on the tree.

Comment

Working...
        X