X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth wizard problem

Good day,

I have several questions.

1) I use speedtree modeller v7.1.1 cinema addition. I want to make animation of growing leaves. I have read that growing animation can be done with "growth wizard". I created a new scene and created a simple trunk. After that I tried to choose "growth wizard", and I saw a picture Click image for larger version

Name:	gw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	3351 and I chose "OK", and nothing happened. Is it OK? Please help to enable growth wizard in your software.

2) Do you have an option to make loop animation of wind? I read on your forum that it was not possible in 2011, has anything changed since that time?

3) Is it possible to use animated mesh instead of leaves?

4) Is there a possibility to fall off leaves?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply!

Hi,

1. The steps you listed to enable growth animation is correct. The next step you need to take is go to your timeline window and enable the 'Growth' check box. From there, if you scroll through the timeline, you should see the animated growth and can fine tune the details by using each generators 'Growth' controls.

2. Unfortunately, nothing pertaining with the looping animation has changed. As mentioned in the other forum post, trying to ping-pong it would help you achieve this though.
    However, if you were to disable gusting when exporting, have a good pre-roll (10 sec or so), and export a somewhat longer sequence, you could probably find a piece of animation in it that would ping-pong well. This technique has actually been used in a few movies when the customer needed a small (memory-wise) animation in a longer scene.
    3. In the leaf generators, you can import any mesh you like. The wind animation will be applied to it, but depending on the complexity of the shape, they will need fine tuning.

4. At the moment, there is no leaf falling capability in ST.

I hope these answers help!

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. I will try to use it

Comment

Hello,

I have some more questions about growth.
        When I enable grow the tree changes. As far as I understand, it ihappens because some features are not supported, but I need to grow only leaves on branches. Is it possible to freeze the tree somehow, so grow doesn't change it or change not siginificantly?

Do I have possibility to export some locators or dummy object instead of leaves?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply!
        Last edited by ckrint; 03-01-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Hi,

You can't freeze the tree but you can set it up so that all branch growth happens immediately by using the start percentage properties. Here is a docs page describing the properties, just scroll down to the 'Growth' section. Unfortunately, we currently can't export dummy locations.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I tried to use these properties, but tree changes so much when I turn on grow Click image for larger version

Name:	tree_grow_probl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3042

Comment

If I export trunk and brunches in single mesh, can I load it into speedtree like mesh and create twigs on it and grow up leaves?

Comment

The reason your tree changes after you run the growth wizard and enable growth is because of the limitations of what does not work with growth. When running the growth wizard,it automatically removes the limitations so it can work properly work. If you want the tree to look a specific way then you can edit the tree to look that way while keeping the limitations in mind.

Here is the docs page that lists them: http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=growth

Comment

Originally posted by SoniaPiasecki View Post

3. In the leaf generators, you can import any mesh you like. The wind animation will be applied to it, but depending on the complexity of the shape, they will need fine tuning.
                  Hello, Please advise which format shall I use to upload animated mesh? I haven't found anything about uploading of animated objects to SpeedTree in the documents.

Comment

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you mean by animated format. With importing any mesh, OBJ would be the best. Once inside the program, the wind animation is then applied to the mesh itself. The more triangles, the more natural it will move and flow. However, you will need to fine tune the animation with the wind settings controls (once you select the fan icon), or the 'Wind' group properties found in the generator.

You can then chose what format to export the mesh in the SPM file with wind data.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X