Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UE4 Overlapping UVs error

Hey,

Using the Cinema edition and any of its sample models causes this error in UE4. This seems to be a common problem and I've gone through every search result on google and on these forums and still found no solution. The only way to get around this has been so far, during export from the modeler, to select the "unwrap" option for each geometry type, but this puts every single UV thing onto a single map, which results in unusably low resolution in UE4. Swapping the Lightmap resolution from 64 to 512 made basically no visible difference (about 3 pixels stretched per polygon,) so I doubt doubling or quadrupling it again would make one either.

I know the cinema models aren't supposed to be used in UE4, but is there really no way to do anything to the lightmaps? Is this resolution limit the ultimate reason why the cinema models can't be used even as a single hero tree in UE4? I mostly tried with the sapling tree because it has fewer polygons. The UE4 modeler has the lightmap rendering mode but that doesn't seem to exist in the cinema edition, even after having googled it.

The UE4 edition models don't work either, some of the foliage clips to black and I found no solution to that either. I disabled AO in the shader etc, found the display normal suggestion here but don't know what to do with those now visible normals. I'd love to get to creating stuff with this software, but doing so is pointless before I know that everything will work.

Hi Lovi,
    SpeedTree Cinema is for use in vfx production only and the samples are not compatible with ue4. For the Ue4 models can you share a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Comment

But is this resolution loss thing the only reason they can't be used in Ue4, as the polycount would be no isse for what I'm doing. Can you have these overlapping UVs in cpu renderers without any issue? If i open the UV map in Ue4 they are clearly all stacked in one corner. I watched a guy make a plant asset in the Cinema modeler, for "video games" but he did manually unwrap the UVs in Maya after it, so that would then be necessary to do every time before they're usable in Ue4?

Back to Ue4 modeler, this is what the sample tree looks like, even with the AO disabled in the Ue4 shaders. The shadows behave like a clipped photo, so if I amp up the exposure they will eventually jump to a lot higher brightness in a single step after everything else is blown to white. They're also this black even after diving into the tree to look at the other side of a mesh.

Comment

Hello, SpeedTree for games with a full or Indie license should be used for exporting a high polygon tree to your game engine. You can model as high poly as you'd like to go in this modeler. Using the Cinema modeler to export to games is a violation of the EULA.

For the ue4 tree, it looks like you are using the v7 sample tree which is not pbr- are you exporting from v7 or v8 SpeedTree for Ue4? If you're in 8, you'll need to check the maps and amounts on the subsurface/ gloss/ normal.

Comment

I tried to export the v7 sample from v8 version as well, but get the same issue. I disabled every map but diffuse, normal, and opacity in ST before exporting as well. Disabled every unnecessary node in the leaf material in Ue4, and no change.

Comment

I realized that the clipped black foliage is caused by the lack of subsurface scattering in the shader, so I played around with a combination of settings to get it to work. The branches still get quite dark due to the natural ambient occlusion (not AO map or input of any kind, just by the forms) but I found out how to increase the ambient light using a PostProcessVolume thing.

Comment

Working...
            X