No announcement yet.

How to use a custom mesh as a support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use a custom mesh as a support?

Hello everyone, I have already asked these questions to my teachers at my school, as well as several forums but no one was able to answer me so I ask directly from you. How do you import a mesh of a soft like Houdini for example, on speedtree and then plant grass on it? (I know how to make grass my problem is "how to plant grass on a mesh import?") I do not want to make a FX pass on my OBJ but I wish I directly animated my grass with speedtree, then export my grass to import it again on Houdini, the grass will be perfectly placed and animated Thank you !

Are you using SpeedTree v7 or v8? Also, are you using SpeedTree Cinema, Games or subscription modeler for UE4/Unity?

The answer will vary based from your reply to these questions.

Thanks!

Comment

thank you SoniaPiasecki for taking the time to answer me. I use Speedtree Modeler V8 Cinema

Comment

Hi,

So, first you'd want to import you mesh into SpeedTree.

Then create a 'Zone' generator and assign the mesh to it. You can do this by clicking the generator, the properties for it will appear, and clicking 'Meshes' -> 'Enable'. This will allow you to add a mesh to the Zone. You will also want to enable 'Growth' -> 'Area Influence' which will help with the orientation and distribution placement of the children you place onto this mesh.

Here is a link to the documentation about 'Zones':
        http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/doku.php?id=zone_generator

Also, here is a screenshot of the settings in the generator to help you get started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrain_zone.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	6514
        Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
        X