No announcement yet.

Performance - SpeedTree 8.3 using HDRP.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance - SpeedTree 8.3 using HDRP.

Hi guys, I have some concern about SpeedTree.

I would like to use speedtree in my current project, but doing some performance testing I have some questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bush_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	6454

In this image on top we see a bush that I got from the unity store, as you can see take 6 draw call.

At the bottom I'm using a speedtree bush, and take 6 draw call too. Even the speedtree bush has less triangules and vertices. (Both bushes have only one material)

My concern come when I used more than one.

Name:	bush_2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6455

On the top bush I see a normal behavior, Unity is packing (batching), so render four bushes is equivalent to render one (6 draw call). That is something that I expect that happen using instancing mesh.

But the speedtree bush, is not instancing, is not batching. The engine need 6 (draw call) x 4 = 24 to render these four bushes.

Now, considering that I need to place this bush along a big area, this is to much draw call and is not quite efficient.

My questiosn is:

1) is this behavior normal in SpeedTree meshes?
    2) is it a bug or performance issue?

As you can see in this image I activate GPU instancing in the material.

Name:	bush_3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6456

Thanks for any help
    Regards
    Eduardo

Hi. Well doing some test, I realized that if I set in the LOD Group component of the speedtree gameobject Fade Mode = Cross Fade or None, Unity batch the speedtree objects.

Comment

Working...
    X