Remove LOD 0 for Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove LOD 0 for Export

This might be a weird request / question, but is there any way of removing LOD 0, have all subsequent LODs move up a position, and then export?

Reason being is that I'm currently experimenting for a VR project in Unity. I know the Quality Settings can adjust the maximum LOD from 0 to 1. Unfortunately though, I am working with a vegetation manager package that handles LODs different i.e.) doesn't use those native settings. Therefore, I am asking if I could batch all of my trees from the modeler app to remove the original LOD 0 and have LOD 1 basically become the new LOD 0. Seems like most LOD 1 models are roughly half the poly count which is a huge gain in performance for VR.

Under global properties, you can actually change the number of LOD's that you would drop. You could set this to 2 for example and model the tree at the lower polygon amount. The second option for forcing things lower is to go to the properties for your leaf mesh and select "Skin" >"Resolution">"Mesh LOD offset" and setting them to one. On all of the LOD settings per generator, you have full control for how much each LOD drops in polygons.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahScruggs View Post
      Under global properties, you can actually change the number of LOD's that you would drop. You could set this to 2 for example and model the tree at the lower polygon amount. The second option for forcing things lower is to go to the properties for your leaf mesh and select "Skin" >"Resolution">"Mesh LOD offset" and setting them to one. On all of the LOD settings per generator, you have full control for how much each LOD drops in polygons.
      Thanks for the Reply SarahScruggs.

I have used the global LOD property previously, but it does the opposite of what I would like. As in it's dropping the lower detailed LODs, whereas I would like to discard the highest level detail LOD.

As for the leaf tip, that works great as well. Although I find the bulk of my geometry for the trees I'm working with is within the top-most level of the branches (like all of the fine branches since it's basically exponential growth from large branches to smallest). This is where I am hoping to have reduce the most an easy fashion versus having to go through each node.

Comment

You'd still have to edit per nodes but you could always change your curves to start lower from the start- something like this perhaps? Click image for larger version

Name:	curve.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	6627
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SarahScruggs View Post
          You'd still have to edit per nodes but you could always change your curves to start lower from the start- something like this perhaps? Click image for larger version

Name:	curve.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	6627
          Is there a bug preventing me from manually setting the first value of the graph? I cannot click and drag the node. It can only be set from the graph preset dropdown, which I can either get max, min, or half values. The last node I can edit though.

Overall, it does seem to help out considerably. Is there a button to refresh the current tree by chance? When I adjust the node values for the LODs, I have to generate a new tree in order for me to see the change it has on the geometry of the generators.

Comment

Hmm, Seems that the left side node of the curve can be locked but choosing one of the presets will free it. I'll log that away as a bug!
            Your tree should be recomputing to preview the new changes but you may have to click inside of the tree window.

Just as a workflow for the future, you will be far better off modeling the tree with the lowest LOD matching the first one you need. Moving the first LOD down means guessing the polygon numbers for almost everything and might shift the leaves away from the spine.
            Last edited by SarahScruggs; 04-10-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X