Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subsurface Texture and Beginner Struggles

Hi there,
    I'm quite new to SpeedTree and experimenting for a few weeks to get stylized trees for an animation short film done in Unity.
    And because it plays in a forrest the trees really need to look gorgeous.

First of all. Today I tried to get the trees working in Unity in the HDRP pipeline which worked quite well.
    But the first thing I wanted to ask is, how to get a subsurface texture, in all the examples that come with SpeedTree they are already included and
    I found no tutorial or explanation on how to get them? Hope you can help me on this one.

And the next question is, how do I make my tree look better?
    Right now, it really looks like the tree consists of planes with textures applied to them (of course this is how it works, but I want to make it look good).
    Hopefully anyone has some tips and tricks as I'm still just experimenting around with this awesome piece of software

Here are some pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tree_ex1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	6812
    This is the tree setup with fronds attached to branches and on those fronds leaf meshes with the same texture. But as you can see it doesn't look really good, especially in close-ups.

Name:	cluster_ex1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	6813
    These are the clusters I created to get the textures for the fronds used in the tree.

Name:	tree_ex2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6814
    And this is the tree inside of Unity. I'm already happy with the look of the trunk texture (created in Substance Designer) but the foliage looks quite gross.

Hi,

For subsurface, for the leaf texture, you will need to create a subsurface map and then load it into the ST modeler. There are other programs that can do this, or you can fake this in PS by using you gloss map, inverting it and darkening the areas you don't want a lot of light to go through. You can find information about making a subsurface map online.

As for the shape of the mesh, you can try adding some 'Deformation' -> 'Twist' to the leaf cluster meshes. This will twist the mesh around it's Y-axis.

Something you can do to help with the over all look is to maybe turn on Collision and editing those properties so it doesn't look too clustered.
    Here is a link to the documentation page about Collisions: http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/d...=toolcollision

Another thing you can do is editing the 'Lighting' normal to the leaf meshes. I would first try setting the Leaf Mesh generators -> 'Lighting' -> 'Anchor' to 'Global' or 'Deep' and editing the 'Amount' value to see how that affects the overall look. You may need to edit the curves to get a more dynamic lighting variance. You may also try using some 'Lighting' -> 'Puffiness' as well.
    Here is a link to the Leaf Mesh generator's documentation page which lists what each of the properties do, just scroll down to the 'Lighting' section: http://docs8.speedtree.com/modeler/d...mesh_generator

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you for your answers!
      I spent the last few days to get to a new design for the foliage and ended up with using a mesh (basically a curved disk) that I scattered with the zone node at the top of my branches and applying a texture to it.
      Now I wanted to see how it looks in Unity but the meshes of the foliage are on the ground instead of the branches. I hope you can help me out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tree.PNG Views:	0 Size:	632.4 KB ID:	6941
      The tree how it looks in SpeedTree.

and in Unity - am I missing something?

Click image for larger version  Name:	BaumUnity.PNG Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	6942

Comment

Hi,

What version of the modeler are you using? If you are using the v8 ST modeler for Unity, when exporting, did you follow these steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQx...index=5&t=153s

Comment

Originally posted by SoniaPiasecki View Post
          Hi,

What version of the modeler are you using? If you are using the v8 ST modeler for Unity, when exporting, did you follow these steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQx...index=5&t=153s
          Hi,
          sorry for my late reply.
          I'm using the latest version 8.3.0 SpeedTree for Unity.
          And yes, I was following the exact same steps

Comment

I am actually stumped on what is going on. From your first post, you were getting the tree to import correctly into Unity. I would suggest trying a new Unity scene to test with and export the tree again into a new folder. It could be that you have the same name on some of your files and something is being stomped.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

Hi,
              Here is some extra reading that may be why your tree is coming in oddly: https://store.speedtree.com/the-stat...hdrp-pipeline/
              With the hdrp pipeline, the .st export for textures is not yet supported- you'd have to set them up manually. Another common unity import problem is not grabbing the tree name with the textures. If you grab just the .st file on import, the texture get's assigned to the nearest material and will often look silver.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahScruggs View Post
                Hi,
                Here is some extra reading that may be why your tree is coming in oddly: https://store.speedtree.com/the-stat...hdrp-pipeline/
                With the hdrp pipeline, the .st export for textures is not yet supported- you'd have to set them up manually. Another common unity import problem is not grabbing the tree name with the textures. If you grab just the .st file on import, the texture get's assigned to the nearest material and will often look silver.
                Hi,
                thank you for your answer.
                The .st file just works fine in the HD Render Pipeline concerning textures. And the problem is not that the tree looks silver (I just didn't applied materials to it), the problem is that some of the leave meshes are on the ground instead on top of the branches.

Edit:
                But just to make sure it's not the fault of using the HDRP I set up a new project in Unity 2018 with the built-in render engine. The result is the same, the meshes are on the ground

Click image for larger version  Name:	TreeUnityOldVersion.PNG Views:	0 Size:	258.1 KB ID:	6960
                Last edited by Panther; 05-29-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Oh!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, thank you for reporting this bug. I will log this for our developer to look into.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Comment

Oh!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, thank you for reporting this bug. I will log this for our developer to look into.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
                    No worries

Thank you!

Comment

I am actually stumped on what is going on. From your first post, you were getting the tree to import correctly into Unity. I would suggest trying a new Unity scene to test with and export the tree again into a new folder. It could be that you have the same name on some of your files and something is being stomped.

Let me know if this helps!
                      Sorry I totally read over this answer of yours.
                      As I wrote in post #3 I chose to take a different approach than the first tree. The first one was behaving totally right in Unity. But the second one (where I scattered a mesh with the zone node) did not.

Comment

Hi,

Would you mind doing a save as with assets into a new folder, zip it and send it to us for testing? The e-mail is support@speedtree.com

Thanks!

Comment

Hello, we have a bug fix available for this issue in version 8.4.1

Comment

Originally posted by SarahScruggs View Post
                            Hello, we have a bug fix available for this issue in version 8.4.1
                            Thank you very much for you help. Problem solved

Comment

Hello,
                              unfortunately another problem occured. The meshes now stay on top of my branches thanks to your update.
                              But now I get some weird artifacts when exporting to Unity.

Name:	brokenMesh.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	7066
                              Although, this does not happen to every tree.
                              Like this one, which is as it's supposed to look like:

Name:	correctMesh.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	7067

The tree on top with the artifacts is made the same way as the tree that looks fine. Branch Generators, Zones on top with custom meshes that are made in Maya.

This is how the "artifacts"-Tree looks like in SpeedTree, and the correlating graph, nothing too complicated.

Name:	Graph.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	7069

Name:	SpeedTreeMesh.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	7068

Hope you can help me (once again )

Thanks in advance