Leaf Mesh Gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Mesh Gravity

by default, the fold function folds the leaf mesh along the blue line. how to fold the leaves long the rend line?
    I tried the direction force but it doesn't work as expected, the leaves eventually lie horizontally, for some reason
    Attached Files

and the curl function isn't what I need

Comment

Hi,

Fold should be bending your mesh along the red line like you illustrated. It could be that your leaf mesh isn't oriented correctly. Fold bends the mesh lengthwise along the Y-axis (the green line in the mesh display), so you want to make sure that in the leaf mesh is facing that way, like in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaf_orient.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	6925

Hope this helps!
      Attached Files

Comment

good point! but it's not a solution for me
        I have the same settings as you showed but the result remains the same
        here are some screenshots
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	105
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	6930Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	105
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	6929
        Attached Files

Comment

and the question in advance
          even though my leaves will eventually fold the right direction. how to create a gravity effect (all face down) since there is no gravity function for the mesh leaves?

Comment

Hi,

From the screenshots you posted, the leaves actually are folding along the Y-axis. To get a sharper fold, I would suggest adding points in center of the mesh, like in the example images I posted earlier, then apply some tessellation to it. Also, make sure your pivot point is oriented down the center of your leaf mesh as well (like in the example image posted earlier).

Since you are making what appears to be a tomato plant, which doesn't have as many leaves as a large tree, I would suggest using the Frond generator for the leaves. This way, you can add Direction/Gravity to the branch spines of the fronds. This will also give you more bend and shape controls. You can keep the leave mesh and material and just assign that to the Frond generator. In v8, the Frond generator is just the leaf portion, so you need to add a branch generator to act as it's spine. Then you can hide the branch geometry by going to 'Skin' -> 'Type' and changing it from 'Polygons' to 'Spine only'.

Hope this helps!

Comment

"Also, make sure your pivot point is oriented down the center of your leaf mesh as well (like in the example image posted earlier)" - the problem is that in the default leaves (when you have only a texture and then you adjust the mesh according to it) have the transform section (as I marked above in the picture), but they are grey out. it's impossible to change their orientation

thank you for the frond tip!

Comment

Hi,

In the Cutout editor where you can create the mesh for your texture, once you set where the pivot point is, by moving the white dot to that position, there is an 'Angle' slider which will rotate the pivot point orientation left or right.

Comment

it worked! thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X