Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to model this conifer

Hello,

I'm a begginer user of Speedtree. I modeled this tree, and I'm happy with the result, but I'm looking for the most efficient way of doing it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	7009

The thing is, when I export it to 3ds Max I end up with a tree that has a material with more than 20 sub materials, and I would like to get the same result but in a more efficient way. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so I hope you can help me.

This is how my generation editor looks like:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	7010

The way I did it is, I modeled a high poly version of the tree using only one material for the needles, and then I made clusters with some branches and I created a ligther version of the tree using 8 different materials and meshes with different branches configurations:

I wanted to use one single leaf node with all the 8 materials on it, but I realized that by doing that I wasn't able to choose the position of every mesh and material. I just got all the different branch meshes distributed randomly all over the main branch, which is not what I wanted. I created each branch cluster to use it in a specific position in the main branch, and I only could achieve that by creating a lot of leaf nodes, each one with the material and mesh that I wanted, and that way I could position them wherever I wanted.

In this image you can see the result of using a single leaf mesh. I want the smaller branches at the begining of the main branch, the bigger in the middle and the the smaller again at the end, but the only way to get that result is using a lot of leaf meshes, and that's why I end up with a model with more than 20 sub materials, which is very difficult to work with.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	7012

Any ideas or advice? I really think I'm missing something... I'm sure there has to be a better way of doing this, I just don't know how. I would really appreciate if you can help me with this.

Thank you very much!

Attached Files

Hello,
    For exact placement, as you are doing, then yes I suppose that separate generators with node edits are the way to go. Generally speaking, you'd set up one generator with your 8 materials assigned to it and use the weights for general placement along the tree using the parent curves. You could do some light node editing, such as just deleting a few that you don't want or repositioning them. Your texture issue will still be a problem if you have all of those textures assigned to the tree and export unwrapped- a copy of each of those textures would have to be in the final. To help with resolution, I'd try to cut down on the number of separate textures that you're using on the tree.

General rule of thumb:
    SpeedTree is best approached with procedural construction of the basic tree shape first. Work from the trunk to the small branches. Our conifer model in your samples folder has a good clean simple path of generators to be used as an example.

Comment

Working...
    X