Pointing leaves in one direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointing leaves in one direction

Hello, My problem seems relatively simple: all I want to do is take the leaves growing on my model (a vine crawling up a wall) and point them in one direction (away from the wall). No matter what I do or what orientation settings I change, there's always leaves on the inside of the wall mesh. Is there any way to just point the leaves in a single direction, or delete any leaves that are colliding with the wall mesh?

Hi,

There is a way to point leaves in a specific directions, however, each model is different. Have you tried editing the 'Final Adjustment' properties? Such as 'Up' and 'Out'?

Comment

Yes, but when I edit any of those properties, or any of the earlier orientation properties, some leaves rotate in the opposite direction. The main issue, I think, is that leaves are growing on both sides of the vine, so that there will always be some on the inside no matter how I orient them. I've toyed around with all the different types of generation properties. but none seem able to generate leaves on one side of the spine. Here are 2 captures, one of the plant itself and one side view, showing the leaves on the inside. They aren't visible in my full scene (being inside the wall) but it doubles my polycount unnecessarily.

It seems there should be a simple command to say "generate all leaves pointing in +X" or something.

Comment

Hi,

To get your leaves from growing on both sides of the branch, I would suggest changing the 'Generation' -> 'Mode' to 'Interval' and set the 'Count' to 1. Make sure there is no 'Spiral' being applied to it as well. This will keep the leaves growing on the same side and you can use the 'Rotation' property to change where on the spine it is located.

A way to keep the leaves from intersection you mesh is to add another branch/twig generator that is slightly pointing away from the mesh. If you are using the Cinema version of the modeler, then there should be an example of Ivy growing on a mesh in the 'Samples' -> 'Growth' folder.

Let me know if this helps!

Comment

Thank you for the help! I ended up using a twig generator growing away from the mesh, and a frond generator to create my leaves pointing with them. Not sure if I picked the most simple solution, but if it works it works. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X