Speedtree Evaluation and Alembic Growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedtree Evaluation and Alembic Growth

Hi, we are willing to buy speedtree modeler for a upcoming project. But we would like to test if growth works as expected between speedtree modeler and maya. As for the evaluation version, exporting to growth with alembic is disabled and crashing when exporting (or taking very long time). I'm reading that there are lot of problems with exporting with alembic and maya so we would like to test if that part works. The exporter is saying that there are samples in the installation folder. But there are no alembic samples to be found. How can we test this part?

Hey there,

You are correct, there are no Alembic samples in the samples folder, but there are two growth samples: Huangshan Pine and Vines. If you load either of those and use "Export growth sequence..." from the file menu, you can export them as Alembic. It's also not out of the ordinary for the Alembic exporting process to take a while. Does it actually crash, i.e., give you a warning that SpeedTree has stopped working? Or does the screen gray out and say "(Not responding)" in the title bar? Sometimes that will happen while the tree is still exporting. There should be exporting limitations, i.e., polygons will be removed at random from the exported tree. But none of the exporting options should be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I tried the standard vines.spm growth sample and set the speed to 50 so we only export 30 frames and that takes like 10 minutes to get at 30% and then it doesn't go further. (waited another 20 min) Should it take that long? We are using the latest linux evaluation version. Do you have an growing alembic sample file for us, to test how it works in Maya?
      Last edited by scorpes; 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Hey there,

Wanted to let you know that I've been able to reproduce the error in Linux. Will reply here when we've got a solution.

We don't have a sample alembic file at this point.

Regards

Comment

Hey,

Looks like there was a problem with the Alembic Exporter for the evaluation version of SpeedTree, the error was not occurring in the full version. The issue has been addressed. Redownload and reinstall the eval version from your account on the store and you should be able to export an Alembic from one of the growth samples. I tested the Vines with your settings and it exported properly.

Regards

Comment

Working...
          X