Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modelling to Match Tricky Reference

How to get this kind of shape?

I'm having two main problems, one is getting the overall flat dome shape, the other is ensuring that the branches do not extrude downward spoiling the underside shape.

I'm not super-new to Speedtree, but this is the first time I've had to model to specific reference and I'm having problems getting exactly the look I need.

Any help gratefully received!

Hey Malak1000: to achieve this kind of shape, I'd suggest starting with the trunk and big branch generators.

Apply a shape control sphere to the trunk and position it lower so that the branches form into a rounded canopy.

Adjust the curve in the branch Gen property "first" so that branches start higher on the tree.

When adding little branches, add the shape control parameter, adjust their position, & slide the distribution curve to 1 (all the way to the right); this will make the branches at the top shorter than those lower on the tree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Malak1000_02.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	7431

Apply a planar force to pull the first two levels of branch generators outward.

For a more natural look, add a generator or two of twigs that aren't affected by shape control
    (speaking of which, if you want to test what things look like with and without shape control, you can turn off the shape control on individual generators by going to the branch generator properties: Spine > Length > and checking the box that says "Stop shape control").

I was able to make a shape like this using the steps listed here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Malak1000_01.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	7430

Hope this helps!

Comment

That is a fantastic, detailed response, thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
      X