Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to force leaves to face the same direction? (Not Sky Influence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to force leaves to face the same direction? (Not Sky Influence)

Im trying to make some wheat grass, and I want all the grass to face the same direction, but I am having a very difficult time achieving the results I want.

Hi Shirk : do you have any specific reference images for what you're trying to create? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having all of the grass face the same direction.

A quick google search of wheat grass images has me thinking a magnet or direction force might help you achieve the results you're looking for.

Let me know if that does the trick or send a few more specific details for what you're looking to do!

Comment

Originally posted by KatLeeHong View Post
      Hi Shirk : do you have any specific reference images for what you're trying to create? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having all of the grass face the same direction.

A quick google search of wheat grass images has me thinking a magnet or direction force might help you achieve the results you're looking for.

Let me know if that does the trick or send a few more specific details for what you're looking to do!
      Thanks, the direction force did the trick! I had to untick the Flip option in the skin panel for the leaves since that prevented them all from facing the same direction.

I have run into an issue though with using the direction force where it will flip some leaves 180 degrees upside down, the only way I can fix it is by going into the node edit and deleting them, is there a better way?

Comment

Shirk : that flip issue doesn't look ideal; what version of the modeler are you using and would you be ok with saving this file with assets into a new folder, zipping it, and sending it to us at [email protected]?

I want to get a better idea of how this model has been built to troubleshoot what might be causing the issue we're seeing here (and if it's a bug, logging it to be fixed!)

Comment

Originally posted by KatLeeHong View Post
          Shirk : that flip issue doesn't look ideal; what version of the modeler are you using and would you be ok with saving this file with assets into a new folder, zipping it, and sending it to us at [email protected]?

I want to get a better idea of how this model has been built to troubleshoot what might be causing the issue we're seeing here (and if it's a bug, logging it to be fixed!)
          Im using v8.4.1 UE4 Subscription Edition. The issue happens with the default grass template as well once you set the direction force strength around 10 (Im using 50 for my wheat, but the issue happens with lower strengths as well). Nothing has been edited in the grass template aside from adding the direction force to the grass.

Comment

Sorry for the delay on this answer! I wasn't sure about the build of your model, Shirk : this helps!

Because there aren't meshes in your grass setup, forces aren't going to be as helpful since they best apply to spines (that might be the cause of the flipping we're seeing).

There are two workflows we presently use to generate grass: first is the template you see with a zone and leaf mesh.
            To set up grass to face the same direction, as stated, start with a leaf mesh using the "Interval" generation mode and set the "Count" to 1 (use frequency to increase the number of planes).
            Under "Orientation", set your "Sky Influence" to 1 and, under "Final Adjustments" set "up" and "right" to 0.5 (as you discovered, if you'd like the grass to face the same direction, un-check the box labeled "Flip" under the "Skin" tab)
            You can get multiple rows by adding your zone generator, setting its generation mode to "interval", adjusting its frequency, and making its "up rotation" (under "placement") to 0.5 (-0.5 also works).

A second way we create grass is the use of a zone generator, a branch generator set to "Spine only" under the "Skin" tab, and a frond generator. In this method, you are able to use forces to greater effect (the wind may also look a little nicer on these!)
            Much like the previous method, our zone generator will have the "interval" gen mode with its "count" set to 1, frequency is up to your preference, and its "up rotation" under "placement" set to 0.5 or -0.5.
            Connect branch tubes to the zone generator, change its generation mode to "interval", its "count" to "1", its frequency to your preference, and then, under the "skin" tab, set its type from "Polygons" to "spine only"
            Add a frond generator and uncheck the "flip" box.
            (Look for the segmet numbers on the branch spines and fronds! You'll want to save your poly count there.)

In both cases, once you add your meshes and materials, you can refine their settings until you achieve the look you're aiming for. Below are images of tests I made using the processes written out here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shirk_01.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	7483Click image for larger version

Name:	Shirk_02.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	7482

Hope this helps! Let us know if you encounter any hiccups with these techniques.
            Last edited by KatLeeHong; 09-13-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X