Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make split face different direction, and actually split for real.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make split face different direction, and actually split for real.

I am wondering how to make a split go different directions, like in the Broadleaf Field Hero example (attached image). Also, is there a way to have it actually split in two, or more branches?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-01 22_23_59-SpeedTree Modeler v8.4.1 (UE4 Subscription Edition).png
Views:	157
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	7569

Hello, The split is designed for only a two way split. You can add more extensions if you wish to split and then split again in a short space. For a multi-branched tree where the "splits" start at the top. I'd use a regular set of branches with the start position quite high.

Comment

Hey
      mikST !

You'll want to edit your trunk generator to modify the split: under the "Skin" tab you'll find "Splits" settings which include "chance" (whether or not the split will happen), "Spread" 1 & 2 (the angle of the split), "balance" (the balance of the split radius), and "seed" (controls the random values used to create the splits).

For a visual demonstration, we have a tutorial on splits here: https://youtu.be/xUgR-cof5-8

We hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I am aware of the settings on the skin tab. However in the Broadleaf example, the effect of the split going off in different directions is done directly in the first Trunk node. I'll supply more images, please note this is from the speedtree broadleaf hero field example. I've tried all the settings in trunk and cannot for the life of me figure out how it's done. The one thing that might give a clue is when I turn off splits, the top bulges out. Any ideas? Thank you again

First image: Notice the splits are going off in different directions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-10-03 00_29_07-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	7575

With the second node un-hidden, you can see the effect even better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-10-03 00_30_10-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	299.8 KB ID:	7576

When I attempt to do this, my splits face the same direction :

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-10-03 00_33_50-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	7577
        Finally, the one clue that may help is when I disable split in the broadleaf example, notice it bulges. There must be a setting I've missed or something:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-10-03 00_35_43-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	259.0 KB ID:	7578

Last edited by mikST; 10-03-2019, 04:38 AM.

Comment

mikST the turn you're seeing here is a result of the "twist" setting found under Trunk -> Spine -> Shape

Comment

Here's a gif to help illustrate what's affecting the split!

Click image for larger version

Name:	twist.gif
Views:	203
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	7582

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
              X