Am I supposed to build lighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I supposed to build lighting?

Most of the speedtrees I use are assets bought directly for the UE4 modeller and I drag and drop them in to unreal. They look great when lighting is set to dynamic but when I turn the directional light to static, and the skylight then build the lighting all of the trees end up looking like this:

This image below is how my trees look with dynamic lighting:

I thought the lightmaps had been properly tuned for baked lighting or am I missing something?
    Last edited by djd711; 06-03-2016, 02:51 PM.

Well, I think the lightmaps are working fine on those images... The thing is that static light will certainly make your trees look darker than dynamic light because it will calculate GI and occlude light on those leaves. That is how the trees are supposed to look like with UE4 physical lighmass system. If you wish brighter trees with static light, you can use some tricks like multiplying tree's diffuse color or even add a little bit of emissive light to it. You can also increase the GI contribution of the tree's material.

Comment

Hey there,

Is that SpeedTree model perhaps one of our VFX models or is it one of our UE4 trees? If you've got access to the Modeler, you can tune the lightmap. You can see our documentation about it here.

Comment

All of the models I am working with are ones I purchased specially for UE4 so I wouldn't have to sort out the lightmaps. I have tried upping the diffuse boost and a few other tweaks but just cant get anything to look good. It's always far too dark. Also when you go closer in some of the leaves are lit and some are still black.

Comment

Originally posted by djd711 View Post
          All of the models I am working with are ones I purchased specially for UE4 so I wouldn't have to sort out the lightmaps. I have tried upping the diffuse boost and a few other tweaks but just cant get anything to look good. It's always far too dark. Also when you go closer in some of the leaves are lit and some are still black.
          Could you share a close up screenshot of those static trees? What is the lightmap resolution you are using for those trees? If you use a too small size for a given tree, you may get black spots due to lightmap islands leaking to the the actual mesh surface...

If you are using the AO node in the leaves material you could try to unplug it. SpeedTree's vertex painted AO is nice for dynamic trees, but it will make the static ones look too dark.
          Last edited by rabellogp; 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

After playing around with lighting settings I managed to get some good results in my scene. I set my directional lights Indirect Lighting Intensity to 2.2 and my Skylights intensity to 15. I am really happy with the look now and thankfully I didn't have to change any other values.

Can anyone think if these settings I have applied would cause me problems elsewhere in the project such as indoor scenes? The indoor scenes will not be completely dark, just darker in general.

Comment

Working...
            X