Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will 16bit and 32bit be available in Speedtree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will 16bit and 32bit be available in Speedtree?

Currently Speedtree is only 8bit for textures, no matter how good one's texture is it will be downscaled to 8bit.
    My question is when will I be able to import, process and export 16bit and 32bit images?

Hello,

I believe you have asked this question before.

Static mesh exporting, such as VFX exports in SpeedTree Cinema, are processed in full float. The only output format that supports that is EXR at the moment.

Anything that manipulates textures and UVs, such as making texture atlases for game exports, texture packing, etc, are indeed currently done in 8-bit. We of course have plans to expand this in the future.

Comment

Unreal comes with tons of free assets that can be ported to other packages. Not to mention Megascan assets.

Kodi nox
      Last edited by amelneach; 09-14-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Croft View Post
        Hello,

I believe you have asked this question before.

Static mesh exporting, such as VFX exports in SpeedTree Cinema, are processed in full float. The only output format that supports that is EXR at the moment.

Anything that manipulates textures and UVs, such as making texture atlases for game exports, texture packing, etc, are indeed currently done in 8-bit. We of course have plans to expand this in the future.
        Unless you want me to ask a third time, I need to have a crystal clear answer, one that doesn't circumvent the question.
        The facts again:
        - SpeedTree CANNOT import Exr, this is an unarguable fact. There is your 32bit gone out of the window, you can't bring in 32bit, so you CANNOT get out a real 32bit. Whatever EXR you export it's a fake, because you couldn't bring in 32bit in the first place, data was lost upon import.
        - SpeedTree CAN import 16bit tif, but CANNOT export 16bit, this is an indisputable fact. So somewhere in the kitchen the 16bit is downscaled to 8bit, data was lost either upon import (most likely) or while processing.
        Clear?
        Shall I ask a third time? When will SpeedTree Cinema be able to IMPORT, IMPORT, IMPORT, IMPORT, IMPORT..., and PROCESS and EXPORT in 32bit and 16bit? (whether it's EXR or not, fine, let be EXR)

"Anything that manipulates textures and UVs", you mean everything, because every possible and imaginable export from speedtree of a tree with bark and leaf textures manipulates textures and UVs. So 100% of the output applies, so actually 100% of SpeedTree is done in 8bit, this is what's hidden in the answer.
        32bit and 16 bit and 8 bit and whatever bit only applies to textures.

"Static mesh exporting", a mesh is an obj, abc whatever... it's not a texture, it's not and cannot be in 32bit, 16bit, 8 bit whatever bit so why mention the mesh in the first place.

Simple: you have 1 tree, 1 bark texture, 1 leaf texture, 1 SpeedTree Cinema license, CAN YOU IMPORT PROCESS EXPORT the bark and the leaf texture in 32bit and 16 bit (together with the mesh, but it's not about the mesh)?
        Last edited by vegipolygon; 09-26-2020, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I attempted to give a nuanced answer describing what we can do in the viewport and game texture packing versus what happens on static mesh export. Perhaps I wasn’t successful, but there is no need for the hostility.

You can load exr in the modeler, even though it is not listed in the common formats. I should change that.

Comment

Working...
          X